PDA

View Full Version : [Project] Quad Robot - ArdDog

Amp
03-12-2011, 06:22 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am starting an challenging project this weekend to build a 4 legged walking robot in 24 hours.
I am blogging about it here: http://emprobotics.wordpress.com/
Please feel free drop by see how its going, give some advice or keep a tab open on it :-).

Wish me luck.
Paul

PS. I will do a big update on this thread at the end of each day.

gonzo
03-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Hi Paul..
I've visited your web. My first impression is your robot
is good, considering the home-made body, not from kit.
But I wonder what kind of servo u use. That's definitely not Hitec nor Dynamixel.

Regards.

gonzo

Amp
03-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Hi Gonzo,

The servos are cirrus 601s 6.5kg/cm standard servos (there is also and re-branded tower hobby version as well).

Paul

Amp
03-15-2011, 05:11 PM
With things going wrong after the first day I didn't have much to report so here is a final update of how the whole thing went.

Day1:
The first day started well I prototyped the leg and quickly set about designing the rest of the robot. I planned to 3D print the whole robot and to use as many open designs for parts from thingyverse. The designing went well and I starting coming together. I got it all design right at the end and left the parts to print overnight.

Day2:
The prints competely failed they were to big and the warping of the plastic competely destroyed the print. I had only used my printer for small stuff before with only the ocasinal failure. I went back to the drawing board and worked out what I could do. 1day down and 1 togo I franticly set about creating nets for my cad designs and started producing them in aluminium. Some frantic construction of all the parts and then assembly final resulted in a full robot but with precious little time to spare. Once finished I had a little play with servo control with the arduino through python and then called it a day.

I am going to continue programming the thing this coming weekend and keeping with the spirit of the project try to program it as fast as possible :-)

I like to give a quick shout out to xevel and rustywrenchrobotics who gave their support.

Here is the final robot in its rough and ready glory.
Paul

Amp
03-15-2011, 05:13 PM
PS can some one tell me how to resize the linked image? Or do I need to upload here at a different resolution

Stobs
03-15-2011, 10:24 PM
I'd imagine most graphics programs would have a utility for resizing images (I'm not referring to CAD/CAD-like programs, although they may have such capabilities as well). If you're using a Windows OS you can open the image with MS Paint and resize it - just remember to save the image with an altered file name in order to preserve the original.

Paul

DresnerRobotics
03-16-2011, 02:21 AM
PS can some one tell me how to resize the linked image? Or do I need to upload here at a different resolution

You can resize the image itself, or you can use the "Manage Attachments" option when you post and upload it there, which will automagically resize it to 900x900 and embed a thumbnail. (see your original post)