PDA

View Full Version : [Just For Fun] Scarab Robot

djsures
03-20-2011, 12:02 AM
HI EVERYONE! I was playing around in the shop today and decided to tackle a shell I'd been sitting on.

He's been fitted with the EZ-B and currently using eZ Builder. He's got voice recognition, remote control and autonomous mode. I changed the LED's with my own colors, and also fitted the HC-SR04 Distance Sensor on a mini servo. The servo sweeps and uses the radar control for autonomous exploring.

Uhm what else.. Oh the neat thing about this toy is the HBridge is actually attached via pin header to the remote control board. So I simply had to throw a couple of resistors on the I/O from the ez-b and use the standard hbridge :) That made things real simple!

http://www.ez-robot.com/Projects/Files/110/title.jpg

YouTube - Creepy Scarab Robot

djsures
03-20-2011, 07:03 PM
well?! what do you think? He's been a lot of fun :)

Stobs
03-20-2011, 07:57 PM
I think it's great djsures :) It moves well and looks very cool! I especially like the way the radar sweeps, as I have been thinking of doing basically the same thing for a future project. I was wondering if you needed to restrict the rate of the sweep in order to accommodate echo response intervals?

Paul

djsures
03-21-2011, 12:25 AM
I think it's great djsures :) It moves well and looks very cool! I especially like the way the radar sweeps, as I have been thinking of doing basically the same thing for a future project. I was wondering if you needed to restrict the rate of the sweep in order to accommodate echo response intervals?

Paul

thanx dude! the ez-builder software handles that automagically. you only specify the servo port, servo range and ultrasonic ports. :)

I use the radar sweep method on most of my robots. The only thing I find troublesome with the ultrasonics is the bad responses. Sometimes the responses are so out of whack. It depends on the complexity or surface of the object. I have a cloth sofa in my robot room and it plays tricks with the ultrasonic sensors lol

With my wheel'd robots, I use a load monitoring method on the dc motors. I simply connect a ADC line to the GND of the HBridge. If the motors are under load, a small ammount of positive current will be detected on the GND. That tells me the sensor didn't work (or the object was too low for the sensor to see) and the robot is struggling.

Very rarely my Omnibot will run into that scenario, mostly if its below or above the sensor (coffee table or office chair leg).

You can see my other robots in action here: http://www.dj-sures.com/robots

Thanx for the feedback :) I'll get hundreds of views but very little feedback usually. But I keep posting lol :D .. I like Trossen Robotics a lot because they featured my K-9 many years ago and they have been a great inspiration to continue forward with my ez-robot project.