PDA

View Full Version : Spectator's POV

Fanatic
04-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Hello MW community,

Your event caught my eye and became my reason for attending robogames.

Getting to the point I'll be sharing my point of view on the event.
(Excuse me if I suggest things already discussed about or done, I might have missed it at the event.

POV:
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
|-some spectators were confused how the robots were judged
| Opinion:Simple poster with competition rules could help
|-Small/High viewing space and angle respectively
| Opinion: Broadcast to spare monitors w/pilots view and/or cinematic view (or see through walls)
|-No idea who's winning
| Opinion: Display Hit Points for the spectators via monitors or even small 7 segment colored displays.
|-If all above are too expensive or time consuming
| Opinion: Have a charismatic announcer

All in all it was awesome seeing the amount of unique robots competing in such a unique event itself.
One day for sure my reason for going to robogames will become my obsession.

Nice meeting you MW community,
-Fanatic

lnxfergy
04-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Around what time were you present? We unfortunately had very few actual (organized) matches during the day (12-7) because of massive interference issues. For the ladder matches later/earlier in the day, we were generally calling out the score, and tried to have someone doing an introduction of the two bots (although admittedly, that didn't always happen).

-Fergs

mannyr7
04-18-2011, 05:31 PM
POV:
|-some spectators were confused how the robots were judged
| Opinion:Simple poster with competition rules could help
|-Small/High viewing space and angle respectively
| Opinion: Broadcast to spare monitors w/pilots view and/or cinematic view
|-No idea who's winning
| Opinion: Display Hit Points for the spectators via monitors or even small 7 segment colored displays.
|-If all above are too expensive or time consuming
| Opinion: Have a charismatic announcer

Excellent input! I agree with all these points and would be willing to step forward next year to help out with a dedicated video setup and projector. We could add some mech/pilot pics on a split screen with the score above and time reamaining and possibly live feeds from each pilots perspective, if it wouldn't interfere with their framerate.

Fanatic
04-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks for your feedback.
Around what time were you present?.
-Fergs

I attended all of Saturday and walked back and forth between matches up to the point when cops kicked us out at closing time....

Oh off topic..ish:
Seeing the main event "that robo combat arena" stealing the whole show...
I was thinking of ways to make this stand out more and steal some of that thunder back.

Have you guys ever thought of adding sound bits to your robots? Instead of just pew pew from the airsoft they could be accompanied by interesting sounds of your choice. Just an idea I wanted to explore....

Fanatic
04-18-2011, 05:42 PM
would be willing to step forward next year to help out with a dedicated video setup and projector.

I think I got something in my eye....

I'll be willing to make/bring stuff too

-Fanatic

sthmck
04-19-2011, 12:01 AM
I attended all of Saturday and walked back and forth between matches up to the point when cops kicked us out at closing time....

Oh off topic..ish:
Seeing the main event "that robo combat arena" stealing the whole show...
I was thinking of ways to make this stand out more and steal some of that thunder back.

Have you guys ever thought of adding sound bits to your robots? Instead of just pew pew from the airsoft they could be accompanied by interesting sounds of your choice. Just an idea I wanted to explore....

Unfortunately you missed a lot of the better matches which occurred on Sunday.
For a lot of us its more about just being able to run matches without having any technical difficulties, than it is about drawing a huge crowd. If we can't run any matches there wont be any reason for spectators to show up. Seeing how new this event is we are obviously still trying to work out some kinks. With that being said I totally agree with you. There are things that could be done to make the matches more attractive/viewer friendly.
For one we need to have a score board.
I dont know if many builders want to add on the hardware needed to give their mech sound capabilities. On the other hand it would be fairly simple to add air-raid sirens to the arena in order to signal the start and stop of a match. If it is loud enough I think it will be a decent way to draw a crowd.

4mem8
04-19-2011, 03:02 AM
sthmck: cool idea of the air raid sirens lol , appeals to my sense of humor.not hard to fit a sound chip for various sounds but it would need an amp to get it across, and i know it all adds to weight which is at a premium.