PDA

View Full Version : how many BBs did you need to get through a match

muc
04-21-2011, 07:09 AM
How many BBs did you need to complete a match without running out? Please list specs on your gun and any other useful info.

Gun type
Rate of fire
Hopper capacity

Do you wish you had carried more or less ammo?

elaughlin
04-21-2011, 07:58 AM
My mech in particular, Draco, didn't get to compete much, but I was a close spectator and ref for a lot of the matches. So I can try to list some of the BB stats.

Gdubb's Bheka was the most memorable -

Defender Gun
Automatic Fire
500 BBs
Due to the low video quality, Gary resorted to a spray fire technique, and ran out of all 500 BB's every match pretty much.
Cire's Immortal -

Dual New AEG Firing Mechanisms
Very Fast Automatic Fire / Set to bursts 5 BB/sec
Total 1200 BBs
Never came close to running out of BBs, may be due to a lot of misfires on the gun.
Abe -

Walmart style Gun
Automatic Fire
Soda bottle full (No number)
Ran out of BBs on the longer matches lasting over 8 minutes.
Jes' Ordog

Dual Tank Guns
Single fire rate
Large hopper boxes (approx. 500-600 Total)
Way too slow rate of fire, harder fires strong enough, never ran out
There were others, but can't remember all the details.

Mainly, Tank guns are way too slow and way too weak overall. Hardly can do anything, and are probably obsolete now. Also, the quality of them are terrible now as well, I have personally gone through 4 of them already.

Defenders (or other walmart style auto BB guns) are the next step up. Because of the higher rate of fire and more powerful velocity of the BBs coming out, these were more of the standard used this year. Depending on how long you hold the trigger can determine how big the hopper needs to be. If you have a heavy trigger finger, the hopper would need to be 600-800 at least per gun.

Next step up is the new AEG firing mechanism. This needs the most modification, but after seeing Cire's and Tyberius' rate of fire, this will be used more next year I think. The hopper will need to be larger than before if your trigger finger is heavy again. But these can get away with a lot less if burst fire is implemented.

Hope this helps.

gdubb2
04-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Spray and Pray...

In one match, I used perhaps 50 -100 BB's.. I guess the targeting was good, and I was not so heavy on the trigger.

The other matches, I used all 500 BB's every time. In one match I had 2 BB's left at the end.. 2 LOL..

I think I need to limit the amount the gun shoots at any one trigger pull, as In the heat of battle it's easy to keep the trigger pulled.

But it was a blast....

Gary

cire
04-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Immortal had 300 bb's in each hopper (600 bb's total) my tank gun setup had 600 bb's in each (which could have shot the entire match without running out). I probably will up it to 500 bb's each next year, depending on the rest of the mech (as well as how good my targeting is)

The AEG gun units shoot fast but Only about 1/3 of the shots actually fired with my setup this year, the other 2/3 being misfires. This is fixable but I didn't have enough time to figure it out before Robogames this year.

The amount of bb's you need really is dependent on 3 things:
1. The gun(s) you are using - What is your rate of fire? Will you run out of bb's if you hold down the trigger for 30 seconds?
2. Your gun / targeting system accuracy - Can you aim easily and only need to shoot a few bb's to score a hit, or do you need to spray and pray? (Most mech's are in the spray and pray category - thus needing more bb's)
3. What kind of firing mode are you using? Burst mode will use a lot less bb's then full auto, and if you limit yourself to only shoot one gun at a time you will save even more ammo.

muc
04-21-2011, 08:36 PM
great info guys... Cire, can you post info on the AEG setup?

cire
04-21-2011, 09:10 PM
great info guys... Cire, can you post info on the AEG setup?
http://www.speedytoys.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1462

You have to make a custom hopper and mount a barrel to it somehow... I used laser cut abs to hold everything together. It is really important to seal the barrel when it feeds the bb in, otherwise you get no velocity on the bb. You really have to see it yourself, and you have to make something yourself to mount it all.

elaughlin
04-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Sorry for getting hopper capacities wrong guys.

jwb97a
04-25-2011, 01:09 PM
hopper size really should be increased or this will continue to be a problem for some people

muc
04-30-2011, 08:49 AM
http://www.speedytoys.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1462

You have to make a custom hopper and mount a barrel to it somehow... I used laser cut abs to hold everything together. It is really important to seal the barrel when it feeds the bb in, otherwise you get no velocity on the bb. You really have to see it yourself, and you have to make something yourself to mount it all.

Cire,

How much current do these draw? What voltage did you run them at?

cire
04-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Cire,

How much current do these draw? What voltage did you run them at?
I ran them at about 6V, I don't know about the current draw.

gdubb2
05-01-2011, 11:33 AM
I ran the gearboxes at 6.0 and 7.2 volts. The current at both voltages ran about 1.8 - 1.9 amps. But it was spiking to that level. Couldn't get an average. The speed was noticeably slower at 6 volts though.

Here is a test I did at 7.2 v.
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/0/3/3/airsoft_firing_rate.jpg (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/0/3/3/airsoft_firing_rate.jpg)

Stobs
05-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Hi Gary, what did you use the Audacity software to capture? It seems like you're using it to analyze the rate of BB fire, but you're addressing current flow with your post, so I'm a bit confused! :}

gdubb2
05-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Sorry about the confusion.. The Audacity is looking at the rate of fire. I put the image in there kind of as an afterthought. It was just something I did a couple of days ago. The current draw is a separate item.

Gary

Stobs
05-02-2011, 09:05 AM
No problem my friend! Just wanted to be sure is all. :happy: Because of your post I've found a new program to use (Audacity), and have put a data output capable DMM on my wish list. :cool:

For those who may also be interested, as part of my build(s) I'll be looking to programmatically include a counter loop to capture the trigger pull signals as a way to quantify bb usage.