PDA

View Full Version : [Project] New humanoid

mannyr7
04-23-2011, 12:26 AM
I have 16 servos, 4 x HSR-5990TG, 6 HS-7954SH, and 6 HS-645MG. Brains will be provided by a SolarBotics Freeduino and Rennbotics servo shield supporting 16 servos. Both will be stuffed into an Arduino project box with 9V cell providing juice for the Freeduino and a Tenergy 6V 2000 mAh pack for the servos. Control will be via Arbotix commander gamepad over Xbee to the Freeduino.

Hardware will be lasercut, .063" 5052 aluminum and possibly nylon block for servo mounts. The leg design will be a 4 DOF PLM layout, with a servo in each of the hip and ankle pitch locations and one more servo in each of the hip and ankle roll positions. None in the knee area, this is where the parallel links will attach. I will reserve one more servo for the hip yaw if needed. The torso will be solidly mounted to the lower body, meaning no waist rotate. The head will have no pan or tilt either.
For the feet, I have these beautifully machined delrin feet (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=4639&highlight=delrin+feet) from our own "Quantum" here on the forum.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_RBehtyGR3tY/TbJfVha4WsI/AAAAAAAABm8/BXe-titHM3c/s800/IMAG5091.JPG

They are perfectly smooth and rigid, and should provide the perfect balance between traction and glide I'm looking for. :happy:

Here is the head I plan on using. Its a gear shift knob found in the automotive aisle of my local bigbox store. And yes, it will get drilled out to accommodate red LED eyes.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_RBehtyGR3tY/TbJY9NcURpI/AAAAAAAABmo/1tFlNxU8zkc/s800/IMAG0002.JPG

For this build, I plan to add some sensory for autonomous events. I will mount a Maxbotix EZ1 sonar, Sharp GP2D12 IR, and two tilt sensors to automatically trigger getup sequences.

As for project name, I am still undecided. I was leaning toward something military sounding like Corporal Punishment or Major Malfunction, just not Sgt Slaughter (been done already). Any ideas?

mannyr7
04-25-2011, 06:43 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_RBehtyGR3tY/TbYGjglT-lI/AAAAAAAABnQ/PqdLBzo4rS8/s640/IMAG5092.JPG

Kar
04-25-2011, 10:52 PM
sounds grate .
I recon with that green head i would go with the HULK.
Ow and you got to use green leds not red.

:happy:

gdubb2
04-26-2011, 09:47 AM
I would second the green LED's.. everyone uses red..

gary

kamondelious
04-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Yellow would probably look good too.

:D

mannyr7
04-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks everybody for the tips. Maybe I will try green eyes. Now if I can just get somebody to 3d-print me some giant hulk hands!

mannyr7
04-27-2011, 12:57 AM
I would hold off on that Rennbotics servo shield for now. I think I burned $1000 worth of servos connected to it! All servos were digital Hitec HS-5990tg and HS-7954sh with 6V pack as the supply and groung plugs confirmed. Prior to connecting them all, I verified operation via a Turnigy servo tester using the same 6V pack. While connected to the Freeduino via USB to my PC, they responded somewhat to commands from the keyboard but twitched and never realized full speed or range of motion. After disconnecting, I retested using the servo tester and saw mass failure! Some moved sluggishly and some not at all. I ordered a Hitech HPP-20 servo programmer in the faintest hope that maybe a board reset may be possible.

kamondelious
04-27-2011, 01:07 AM
Awww Manny, that's really rough bud.

My condolences. I know I'd have a breakdown if that happened. Hang in there.

Fingers & toes crossed for a jovial outcome.

Stobs
04-27-2011, 09:35 AM
You definitely have my best wishes on this mannyr7, hope it turns out well.

gdubb2
04-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Ouch.. hope it's not too serious.. perhaps they just got reset somehow.

Gary

mannyr7
05-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Some good news:
Using a Hitec HP-20 servo programmer, I managed to revive all the digital servos and even the analog 645MG's! While I was at it, I turned on protection, which will halve the motors output in the event of a stalled situation and enabled 180 deg rotation instead of the as-shipped 60 degrees. Best $26 I ever spent!

Going through the old threads regarding PLM designs. I have settled on one easy enough for me to hack together in the garage using the basic hand tools at my disposal. So here's what I'm shooting for. The 45 deg brackets are Lynxmotion SES offset brackets I plan to drill holes into to allow attachment of the parallel link. I have not yet decided if the twin knee servos will be necessary as I am using HS-5990TG's for the upper and lower links.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/8/4/0/myplm_leg.png

tom_chang79
05-12-2011, 02:00 PM
I am loving your selection of the gearshift knob/head for your bipedal. Can't wait to see pics of machined out with some LEDs in the eyes... :)

mannyr7
05-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Full-size leg mockup

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_RBehtyGR3tY/TdnDfw6lQaI/AAAAAAAABn0/cdpwDlefZM4/s640/2011-05-22%2019.14.14.jpg

Stobs
05-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Thank you mannyr7! Had a rough day today and seeing your bot's 'peg leg' made me lol :) Even with your bot a bit behind the prototype, that leg looks to be pretty dang tall! If those brackets are any indication, it also looks like you're changing the layout from what you'd drawn (post #11)?

mannyr7
05-24-2011, 02:01 AM
HaHa! I though it was funny too. :veryhappy: The wife, whose bot it has become, wasn't quite so amused with my never-ending 'upgrades'.

As for my design, nope, still the same game plan as before. I have 8 of those aluminum tubes to machine to complete the legs. Trying to figure out solidworks at the moment, so I can import them into surfcam and then on to the cnc.

mannyr7
11-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Machining complete on the PLM leg sections. Quite a while ago. Just been sitting in a box waiting for me to put everything together. I found out I'll need to make a small counterbore to clear the bearing nut opposite the servo horn.

mannyr7
04-27-2013, 04:00 AM

That is my custom robo controller for the new(old) bot. LOL. SB Freeduino with a proto-shield and Parallax X-Bee breakout board and Mini Maestro servo controller all fit in a standard Arduino case. Everything tested and working, including audio and LCD message output via a 3-pin port north of the Xbee. Just waiting to get off my lazy ass and write code for the sending unit, which is an old R/C helicopter controller, with it's transmitter swapped for an Arduino/X-Bee. New legs! PLM setup on the backburner for now, because there's no way to guarantee a slow transmission or garbled message won't let one servo move faster than another and tear the whole leg to shreds. At $125 a pop, not willing to risk it...