PDA

View Full Version : RVIZ slow when building maps

Atom
04-27-2011, 12:38 AM
I have been experimenting with ROS on a 2ghz dual core and noticed alot of lag in building maps in rviz. I was wondering what you guys are using when it comes to cpu/video hardware. Also like to thank you guys ahead of time. I have been following your blogs and tutorials and would be lost without you guys. Just to let you know I have been using the nxt packages...

SK.
04-27-2011, 01:09 AM
The first question when it comes to rviz being slow is always "Do you have an Nvidia graphics card?". As a rule of thumb, rviz should run ok with an Nvidia card and the propietary Nvidia drivers. All other GPUs/drivers are significantly slower from what I gather. Turning off compiz can have some positive effects if you encounter flickering or other problems.

lnxfergy
04-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Atom, SK,

I made this into a new thread, so that it doesn't get lost inside the iRobot Create thread.

-Fergs

Atom
04-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks Ferg, And No Sk. its a gma 950 :( .. I researched my video card on my HP Intel DV6000 and found that the gma 950 video driver is set way below the acceptable tolerance range of 400MHz . Stock driver is set around 133MHz and even the optional driver accelerator is only 250MHz. But I was able to find a tool "GMABooster" http://www.gmabooster.com/home.htm that sets it to 400MHz . I will test it and post my results. But I am still curious what some of the users on the forum are using for computer hardware. I was planning to build a I7 quadcore soon so any advice on the subject would be appreciated..

SK.
04-29-2011, 01:43 AM
It's really more a question of architecture and most importantly the driver than of raw clock speed that makes Nvidia graphics the preferred choice. For this reason, I wouldn't expect a major increase of performance from fiddling with the GMA's chipset.

Atom
04-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Looks as though you are right SK. Although I did notice some increase in D2D and OGL in CrystalMark with the clock set at 400MHz. It seems as though its not enough to correct my problem. Thanks for the advise guys looks like Im going to have to start building my Quad sooner than I thought..