PDA

View Full Version : Chimera (RX-64 Quad)

elaughlin
05-23-2011, 05:35 PM
I have been working on a little bit of a new project. I ave nothing physical, but have been working long and hard within the CAD models.

The plan is to make a fully 3D printed, armored, RX-64 based quad mech. In the end it should look as close as possible to a real mech from the games/books. I have held off showing lots of small updates about each part of the leg until now. The leg design is pretty much finished (just need to make some overlap sections and tabs for the connections between shells). First off the legs are still 3DOF lizard style still, with RX-64's and the standard metal brackets holding them together. I just made shells in Autodesk Inventor that should slide right on over everything, bolt onto the existing holes of the servos or brackets and thats it.

Each leg consists of 5 shell pieces. 2 Coxa halves, 2 Femur halves, and 1 full Tibia. All the parts have enough clearance planned for all the turning points, but they may look close. I grabbed a small video of what it looks like with some pictures of the pieces.

2611 2612 2613

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iBaFZbPpKo

Stobs
05-23-2011, 10:53 PM
That's going to be a BEAST elaughlin! I LOVE it! :) That shell design add another whole layer of cool - on top of the RX-64's that is. ;) Gotta say though, that "articulated" tip is begging for a servo and an actuator to push/pull the gripper ends! :)

elaughlin
05-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Just putting in an update, because I settled on the name...

Chimera (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(mythology)) - (Provided from wikipedia)

The Chimera or Chimaera was, according to Greek mythology, a monstrous fire-breathing female creature of Lycia in Asia Minor, composed of the parts of multiple animals: upon the body of a lioness with a tail that ended in a snake's head, the head of a goat arose on her back at the center of her spine. The Chimera was one of the offspring of Typhon and Echidna and a sibling of such monsters as Cerberus and the Lernaean Hydra. The term chimera has also come to mean, more generally, an impossible or foolish fantasy, hard to believe.

I think this matches up well to what I am trying to do, so I went with it for the name of my new mech.

Also updating that I purchased all of my mechanical and electronic gear for the mech and will post a beautiful picture of all those gigantic servos when I get them.

darkback2
05-28-2011, 02:59 PM
you going hardcore?

rebel
05-28-2011, 04:19 PM
That thing looks like it is gonna be nice :P

elaughlin
05-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Sorry no Hardcore DB.

Thanks Rebel. I need to get more done on the design. I think its going to take a lot longer than I originally thought to get everything perfect.

cire
06-01-2011, 05:10 PM
From what i've seen so far, I think this is going to look really awesome. Also I expect it to perform really well too! Can't wait to see it come alive.

elaughlin
06-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks Cire. Nice hearing that from the reigning champion! You are going to have to help me with a few things (mechanical) I am guessing in the future with it. You have already helped out a lot with stress analysis testing among other things.

Fanatic
06-02-2011, 02:28 AM
Jaw dropping design elaughlin and just from one part, I think this just won me over to learn cad.....
Well as a hopeful participant of future mech warfare games I say, "I'm scared."

elaughlin
06-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Just got in the parts for the Chimera build. RX servos are so totally more awesome! Can't wait to put this thing together. It will be huge! but worth it.

Fanatic
06-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Just got in the parts for the Chimera build. RX servos are so totally more awesome! Can't wait to put this thing together. It will be huge! but worth it.

holy %&$* those servos look serious
I cant wait til your plans come to fruition.

Xevel
06-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Oh man.
O_o

Stobs
06-23-2011, 05:27 PM
I hope you describe some of your parts selection but, I have to ask if that's a mini winch off to the right? ^.o At first I thought it was a gun mechanism, but that sure looks like a fairlead out front of a drum to me! ..and a 5S LiPo? O.o

Very interesting build you have going on elaughlin :)

elaughlin
06-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Yeah I have some strange parts going into this, at least as far as mech warfare goes.

The servos are RX-64s. Big time power/torque going into this baby. 5s Mil Spec Lipo battery. Weight - Power ratio is unmatchable, so I had to spring for that. There is a very tiny laser module in the front right which I am planning on designing into one of my gun shell designs. And yes, that is a robowinch from the trossen site. I thought it would be really cool to have that thing on the robot. Could pull the cars in the arena around, or other dead robots. Everything else in the pic is small electrical needs and parts.

Stobs
06-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Very, very cool man. You know that saying about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery? Expect to be flattered! lol

elaughlin
09-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I have been slowly doing bits and pieces of my design for Chimera. I promised everyone an update when I had something that would look different to previous pictures.

Updates -

Rebuilt Chassis - 3D print version, contains all mounting for electronics inside, and covers the wifi board on top of the chassis.
Updated "Pan Slide Bed" - For turret to sit nicely on top of the bed with extra support.
Lots of things inside the chassis
Changed Darkback's hopup 3D print to work for my setup
Started designing Gatling Gun 3D print to go on the defender Barrel/Connection setup

Xevel
09-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Very impressive bot! Something to give Giger a run for its money :D

I see that you use two servos for the tilt axis of the turret, and a strong-looking pan mechanism, maybe that will be enough to counter the bobble-head effect many bot seem to suffer from ^^
Do you plan to make a custom shell for the body too?

Please keep the updates coming :D

elaughlin
09-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Very impressive bot! Something to give Giger a run for its money :D

I see that you use two servos for the tilt axis of the turret, and a strong-looking pan mechanism, maybe that will be enough to counter the bobble-head effect many bot seem to suffer from ^^
Do you plan to make a custom shell for the body too?

Please keep the updates coming :D

Thanks a lot Xevel. Means a lot.

The two tilt servos are definitely for that reason exactly. I have the pay load, so I might as well give it some more accuracy by using 2 servos and the 4 bar linkage system (cire explained to me how to use that). I really would like to get rid of the bobble head effect and get nice smooth aiming.

And of course I am going to make a custom shell body. The chassis is not even complete yet, that is just the boxed in part of it. The sides of the chassis will show some under the armor shells so the sides will get details along them. A 3 (or 4) piece shell will be covering the turret and top of the chassis - plans to make it look real detailed tank/mech effect. Another shell will be going under the chassis to give it an under carriage look as well as providing protection to the Arbotix and the power switches will be found there. And lastly, 1 to 2 piece shells per gun (each different and custom).

Those are all the 3d parts for Chimera, plus I wanted to make a Mech Warfare Scoring system Harness, but unsure if Ill 3D print it, or use aluminum maybe. So it can easily be attached and unattached to compete or just for show. One of the pieces for the armor shell will be just a top part that can be removed easily to add ammo, and attach the scoring harness, and the top piece can fit back down on top of the harness.

I will update as much as possible when there are concrete differences. I am all excited about the build again, because a certain tattooed, robot builder put a fire under my a$$ this afternoon.

elaughlin
09-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Heres an insides look at the electronics inside.

Xevel
09-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Heres an insides look at the electronics inside.

Nice!
It may not be a problem, I really don't know, but don't you think putting the wifi antenna just below a fan could be problematic in term of interference/signal quality?

And I see you put a robowinch in here too :D
Why is this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhpS69eAXrU&feature=player_detailpage#t=48s) the first thing that comes to my mind? xD
As far as I know, towing your opponents out of the battle arena is not a valid way to win in Mech Warfare :D

elaughlin
09-02-2011, 09:40 PM
That is exactly what the robowinch will be used for. HAHAHAHA

The fan is actually a necessity for the antenna board actually. Tyberius and I found that the antenna boards over heat when in enclosed spaces and would drop the signal fairly quickly. So we both put on some heatsinks to the one side of the board, and added some cooling systems in there to keep everything cool. Giger had it as well as Draco last year. When the board is kept cool (and you don't get a voltage drop when shooting your defender off the same 12v battery) the board works like a charm.

Plus, I think the fan is kind of cool. My design is going to incorporate a grill directly about the fan, so you will be able to see it working in there, and has somewhere to draw the air from.

Fanatic
09-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Wow, I'm really interested in how you're making the chaingun :O
Will it replicate how a chaingun works or just rotate the barrels and shoot through the space in the middle. Either way it's kickass that you have a chaingun and robowinch design.

elaughlin
09-03-2011, 12:31 PM
I think that is how I am going to do it. There was talk once awhile ago for a real functioning gatling gun, but I dont think it will be followed up with on my mech at least. I am going to do like you said and have the fake barrels just spin around the center barrel which does the firing. I am thinking the best way to control it is having a little continuous rotation servo or motor spinning the barrels.

elaughlin
09-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Been working slowly on Chimera. Here is a little update picture. I have the guns basic shapes modeled along with the mounting brackets. The hopper is finally done how I want. And the camera now has a mount as well.

cire
09-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Looking awesome, as usual. Have you decided on a color scheme yet?

elaughlin
09-17-2011, 04:26 PM
My girlfriend mentioned that to me today. She said I should make it orange. I wasn't going for that. I was thinking a battle worn gray look for most of the armor areas, and black under-carriage for the innards parts. I wanted to have some color in it though, maybe with some decals or such. But really its still just a thought. I need to work a whole lot more on it before I can put together a real scheme.

gdubb2
09-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Orange is good.. get that rusty..well used.. worn out.. salvaged from the landfill look...:o

elaughlin
09-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Haha. It would look good if thats what it was supposed to be looking like. I want to go for Russian Super Technology look from a comic or games look.

I don't know if there is a term as Russian Super Technology, but thats what I thought up.

elaughlin
12-28-2011, 11:18 PM
I have been making some progress. Seems like I do a lot for a few weeks, then I slow down because of real work. None the less, I have some progress, been working on the main body, trying to tie it all in together and putting in the details now. There are a lot of the vents and air intakes that I wanted it to have, next, I will be finishing up the lower part of the body, to make it look complete there, and then add in all the small details like nuts, wires, hoses, that sort of stuff.
Below I also have pictures of the pieces that came in from Shapeways a couple weeks ago. They look even better in person. The detail came out so well. There is also a size comparison picture in there to see the size of one leg compared to my hand, and I have big hands. Chimera is going to be massive, total height may be close to the size of a bioloid, yikes. The pieces do need a lot of work with that there rotary tool. Have learned now through experience, that I need to leave some clearance between the parts and the servos, they were all too tight for the servos to fit in, even got one stuck by trying to smash it in there. So, as I work on them and get them to fit nicely, I can add finished pics of them.
I need to start doing more and fast. Deadlines are quickly approaching, and running it/testing it, does take time too!

gdubb2
12-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Good grief man.. that takes overachievement to a new level..loks wonderful.

Gary

Xevel
12-29-2011, 07:12 PM
These legs look awesome :D
How robust is the last part of the leg (what I call the tibia on my bot)? Is there any risk of twisting it when walking?

whichwayisup
12-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Wow!!! Bravo sir, bravo!

Vsions
01-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Dang dude, that looks awesome I cant wait to see it all come together. How much did the shell cost you to get prototyped if you dont mind my asking? also when do you plan on finishing it? Im looking forward to seeing it completed:)

elaughlin
01-04-2012, 12:19 AM
These legs look awesome :D
How robust is the last part of the leg (what I call the tibia on my bot)? Is there any risk of twisting it when walking?

The thickness of the walls on the tibia was a little more then minimum to make sure it would hold up. Had Immortal to a strength analysis test on my design and we came up with like 5mm thickness walls to use there with some cross supports on the inside of the tibias. So they seem real sturdy, definitely heavier but shouldnt be a problem. The walls on the rest of the leg pieces are minimum about, around 2mm. There should be no problem with it twisting, but will have to wait and see when I get something moving.

Dang dude, that looks awesome I cant wait to see it all come together. How much did the shell cost you to get prototyped if you dont mind my asking? also when do you plan on finishing it? Im looking forward to seeing it completed:)

Thanks. I got all 4 legs printed and the total was over a thousand. Its tough to write it out, but I have put in a ton a money on this so far. I plan on finishing it before Robogames in April. Thats the plan.

Here is another update then also for my design progress. I think I am about 85% done now with that stuff. I need a small under-carriage piece still, fix up the back of the chassis around the winch then the body of it is all done. Then work on the whole "head" area, which will be tough, but everything is placed inside already.

evansna
01-14-2012, 08:25 PM
This looks awesome! I was wondering what software did you use for this? And is there any software you would recommend for someone who hasn't used design software before? I was also wondering if by over a thousand in cost you meant for all the parts or just the metal?

elaughlin
01-15-2012, 09:04 AM
This looks awesome! I was wondering what software did you use for this? And is there any software you would recommend for someone who hasn't used design software before? I was also wondering if by over a thousand in cost you meant for all the parts or just the metal?

Thanks evansna. I used Autodesk Inventor to do all of my CAD models. Its a pretty in depth but pretty easy to use software that handles everything. Plus its free if you have a student email address to any school. I started off using Google Sketchup a long while ago, thats good for really starting out and getting to understand the CAD idea, but it is very limited and will be time consuming and difficult when you get to more intricate models. Then I tried Alibre, which is another CAD software, but I felt not very easy to use. Now, I have been onto Inventor for about 2 years now and love it. Try it out, its free like I said.

The thousand was for the 3D printed leg pieces that I showed in the very first post. I don't have any metal on here yet, besides the brackets that come with the servos. Everything is pretty much 3D printed plastics.

Hope that helps. Thanks for checking out my robot.

elaughlin
02-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Been putting in long hours of modelling to try and get this robot finished, even through cases of flesh eating bacteria, pneumonia, and mad cow disease. Made a good amount of progress, check it out. .3769. 3770

Quantum
02-19-2012, 12:47 AM
Great Detail. You need to make the gat gun spin.

elaughlin
02-19-2012, 10:49 AM
It does. Well will. The outside barrels dont fire, but they spin around the center barrel that does shoot. And is run by a micro motor tucked in to the side of the gun.

elaughlin
02-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Working real hard, burning the candle at both ends to try and finish Chimera before Shep Robo (I know its not a good chance of it, but tryin). I finally was able to move onto the top section of the design. Started the "hood" to the torso/head area and was able to put all the equipment needed for the scoring on as well. Still not complete with the scoring stuff precisely but you can see how it will work, and how easily I can remove it or reattach it for competition. That was something that I hated on the previous build of Draco, the targets were so permanent. Now, by unscrewing a few bolts, located so easily on the top of the robot, I can slide the scoring harness off, and just reattach the top.

Getting closer to that final day when I will send out for the prints again from shapeways, and just wait like little Erik on Christmas morning.

Xevel
02-21-2012, 12:49 AM
It's looking really good :D

I like the way you can swap easilly between match and "show off" mode.

I can't imagine how much printing all this stuff will set you back... Then I remember the beast is basically already a pile of RX-64 and other awesome (and expensive) stuff, and giving them a proper shell is really worth it ;) (that, and the fact that I'm not the one paying ^^'').

Best of luck meeting your deadline !

elaughlin
02-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Yeah Xevel, you're right. I am really worried about the final price in the end... but I am really trying to go all out (balls out), and do whatever is needed. I have not really been skimping on anything for this robot, and hoping it shows in the end. If the final figure isn't too mind blowing, and I don't get choked up each time I think about the final cost, I'll let everyone know what it costs to make a Chimera robot and put up plans/parts list when its all done. Plus, I am doing all the printing through shapeways, so anyone could just go to my "virtual store" at shapeways and buy the 3D parts as well.

Thanks for taking a look at it.

In other news, I received my screws and hardware today, put together the placeholder - laser cut chassis and legs. Now I can see the full size of it, its a beast. The chassis is only about 3mm per side bigger than Draco, but with the legs on, looks gigantic. Ill show something later, need to continue modelling.

elaughlin
02-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Just wanted to make a quick post. Almost done with the whole design and wanted to show a color scheme (well one color, but looks nice)...
.3783. .3784.

Slugman
02-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Nice? Don't know if you posted the wrong pictures, but the pics I looked at were from the view of someone about to be splattered by both guns!
seriously though, the level of detail on that thing is insanely awesome. IMHO - I put it on a pedestal at least as high as Giger. There is a standard, & you are setting it.

elaughlin
03-02-2012, 10:20 PM
If you ever want to make your own Chimera in the future, check out the My Shop on Shapeways. Theres nothing to buy now, but soon you will be able to get all the pieces that were used to make a Chimera. If your willing to spend that much...

But check it out later on... Rusty Wrench Robotics Shapeways Store (http://www.shapeways.com/shops/rustywrenchrobotics)

elaughlin
04-08-2012, 02:38 PM
I have painted and wired most of Chimera now. I have a small video of the NUKE gaits and walking while on its stand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx6jvqwR4Ew

I tried to show in the video how strong this thing is by pointing the camera towards the stuff on my desk that is all shaking around.

Still need to get my gun motor controller board and then hook up all the turret stuff. Also need to finish all the scoring system hookups and what not, then just testing everything multiple times over.

darkback2
09-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Would you mind posting an updated video of this guy walking around? My students don't believe me when I tell them that the robot in the poster is real.

:-)

elaughlin
09-27-2012, 06:32 AM
I will. I need to get my my servos fixed still. Been busy at this new job of mine.

Gertlex
09-27-2012, 01:02 PM
DB, look for the MW video that BotJunkie guy made... It has Chimera in it.

Adam
11-14-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm really impressed with what you've done with custom part modeling. To my knowledge, this level of integration of aesthetic elements with functional bracket mechanics is unprecedented in a hobby robot. Kudos.

However, the lack of quality images of the completed bot is a real bummer.

elaughlin
11-16-2012, 04:16 PM
I totally agree. I just sent my blown servos to robotis to get fixed. So hopefully when they come back, I can get some really nice pics of it up. I have been really busy and just kept putting it off.

tician
11-16-2012, 05:39 PM
I totally agree. I just sent my blown servos to robotis to get fixed. So hopefully when they come back, I can get some really nice pics of it up. I have been really busy and just kept putting it off.
I must admit to being rather curious to know how many have died on you. I just replaced the 5th broken MX-28 on our oldest DARwIn-OP and it is getting a bit disconcerting how frequently the motors are seizing up (I think it has been three in as many weeks). The count is 4 with burnt motors (most recent to die was either a beta MX-28 or pre-name change MX-28T and the rest were RX-28M), and one that had a sheared output spline (RX-28M that was just put back into service with a new gearset).

darkback2
11-16-2012, 09:21 PM
These servos were ruined, well one of them was ruined by a bad usb2dynamixel...One of them was a loan from Hikari at Robogames...the USB2Dynamixel was what got the servo...cooked the board. The origin might have been a blown board in the first servo, or originated in the USB2Dynamixel.

On another note, this is one of the most beautiful robots I have ever seen...That said, I was thinking someone could make vacuum form molds and make this into an MX-28 based kit...

DB

jwatte
11-17-2012, 11:14 AM
So, with overvoltage protection (perhaps as simple as a TVS or Zener per input) and with overheating protection (a thermistor on the motor,) these servos would be a lot more robust?

tician
11-17-2012, 12:23 PM
So, with overvoltage protection (perhaps as simple as a TVS or Zener per input) and with overheating protection (a thermistor on the motor,) these servos would be a lot more robust?
To my knowledge, none of the servos in the lab (~200+? AX-12/18 and ~70 MX-28) have ever died from over-voltage or reverse voltage (lots of CM-5/510/530/700/730 and USB2Dynamixels, as well as a pair of arbotixes) so it has not been as big a concern for us. I can only think of one completely useless AX-12 (rendered so because of a mostly dead motor), but no idea how it happened (turns a bit if you manually start it rotating before it stops and triggers an overload alarm/shutdown). I suspect the recent spate of dead MX-28 motors is due in part to overheating/overuse, but not really sure. The most recent casualty of the theatre students was a nearly mint MX-28 that had just replaced another servo in an elbow (previous servo died in the same manner), so it should not have really experienced any sort of overloading. There is an RX-28M that had a motor seize so completely that the motor driver got smoked when trying to test it (already salvaged the gearset for the RX-28M just put back into service), so I hope to tear open the motor itself to figure out what happened (could be damaged bearings, brushes, armature, etc.).

Just remembered that the tilt servo in the neck of the third DARwIn-OP was damaged in transit the first time it was shipped. It was never used, but wound up completely frozen in place like the four other servos have been, so overheating may not be so much the issue. It had to have been dropped from a pretty decent height to kill the servo given all the foam padding inside the case (also smashed and deformed the cap of the stick of threadlocker quite far over the tube, and left pretty deep indentations in the little bit of cardboard filling the gaps between the shipping box and DARwIn-OP's pelican case).