PDA

View Full Version : So like...Melee?

Fanatic
06-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Yea so whats up with all these guns!?
Wheres the intense close combat action!!!

:P so yea just want to talk about using melee to score points in mech warfare
of course I'm not talking about smashing robots but just enough to score a hit.

Would be really fun to see as it allows our robots to have other tactics than just running around at distance pew pewwing
Even go as far as giving a melee hit 2x "damage/points" = future robots becoming more mobile for survival sake.

So yea, just some ideas for future competitions!

byi
06-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Interesting concept. It might give bipeds an offensive advantage if they have arms. On the other hand, they would also risk falling down. I guess that would change the dynamics of the competition significantly.

gdubb2
06-23-2011, 09:17 PM
The intense close quarter combat action is in another part of the building.. You have Kung Fu, Sumo, and a whole bunch of weight classes for combat. Everything a breakage fan might like.. Feel free..

Gary

Fanatic
06-23-2011, 10:18 PM
The intense close quarter combat action.....Kung Fu, Sumo...

pshhh
Intense is when you ran out of ammo and you're 1 point away to win, barely breaking away from a tie and the clocks ticking.
Your opponent is across the street, your only option...melee, weaving, dodging, and piloting to your mech's limit getting in close...are you gonna make it?!....and yea

Mech warfare hasn't reached its limit yet, at least I hope it hasn't

darkback2
06-24-2011, 06:22 AM
Wasn't it gdubb who tried this very tactic againt giger? If I remember correctly it didn't end well for bheka.

mannyr7
06-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Like bringing a knife to a gunfight. And oh yeah, knives are prohibited.

gdubb2
06-24-2011, 10:32 AM
I apologize for being a bit snippy there.. Having been in the combat end of things for so many years, and experiencing the damage and expense of rebuilding first hand, I get that way. I love the entire mech warfare thing as it gives us the opportunity for non destructive combat, and the fun of building a machine that can be much more sophisticated than any of my Combots ever were.

And yeah.. Bheka tackeled Giger, and lost the match.. :-)

Gary

Fanatic
06-24-2011, 12:47 PM
of course I'm not talking about smashing robots but just enough to score a hit.

Yea melee doesn't have to mean destruction, a tap that's enough for the sensors to pick up.
Just like where guns could be destructive, we use airsoft.

...the fun of building a machine that can be much more sophisticated than any of my Combots ever were.

With non-detrimental melee, robots can become as sophisticated as possible without the fear of losing it all.
The melee I'm suggesting isn't a copy of the combot's melee, but a new genre of melee unique to our mech warfare.

lnxfergy
06-24-2011, 01:51 PM
I'd really suggest you have a robot capable of walking and shooting, over a wireless camera control interface, before worrying about 'melee'.... because you score like 0 points if you can't even qualify for the competition...

-Fergs

Fanatic
06-24-2011, 02:22 PM
I'd really suggest you have a robot capable of walking and shooting, over a wireless camera control interface, before worrying about 'melee'.... because you score like 0 points if you can't even qualify for the competition...

-Fergs

So...qualify = melee time!? :D

lnxfergy
06-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Is everyone that bad at qualifying?.......
If you're talking about me specifically sure I barely got mine to twitch today but as a future competitor and spectator I would love the option to do melee.

We had ~25 entries. We had 16 bots that "qualified" -- of which about 6 defaulted their first match because they had "just barely" qualified.

There's nothing that says you can't melee... as long as it's not sharp you can whack the other robot all you want. You probably won't ever see a rule doubling the damage for melee, because a) there isn't a focus on it, and b) we want the rules to remain as simple as possible.

-Fergs

Fanatic
06-24-2011, 03:50 PM
as long as it's not sharp you can whack the other robot all you want.
-Fergs

Good enough for me! WOO!