PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Wheels for Dynamixel Servos

SamQ
07-22-2011, 02:06 AM
Where may I get at least six inch diameter wheels that will easily attach to a Dynamixel servo?
Is there an easy way to get any wheel attached to a Dynamixel servo?

How do I determine how much weight a wheel can hold before it collapses/fails? (equation?)
The hub of the wheel should preferably not be plastic.

Also, what parts would you recommend I use if I were to configure a single powered caster assembly comprised of two 6 inch diameter wheels where I'd use two EX-106 Dynamixel servos (maybe coupled together) to power each wheel (one servo per wheel) for traveling along a surface (pitch plane) and one Dynamixel-64 servo to power angular rotation (yaw plane). Would I need any brackets to accomplish this configuration?

I'm a strong programmer, but a weak mechanical engineer, so I need some guidance conceptualizing the mechanical configuration of the dual-wheel powered caster assembly mentioned above.

Thanks,
Sam Q

cire
07-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Where may I get at least six inch diameter wheels that will easily attach to a Dynamixel servo?
Is there an easy way to get any wheel attached to a Dynamixel servo?

There is a wheel with the bioloid kit, it is not 6" diameter though. It is fairly easy to bolt a wheel on though, if you have the right bolt pattern in the wheel, you would probably have to custom make it.

How do I determine how much weight a wheel can hold before it collapses/fails? (equation?)
The hub of the wheel should preferably not be plastic.

This depends on a lot of things, you'll have to take a few mechanical engineering classes to be able to correctly calculate it. More then likely you will not have enough torque to drive whatever you are driving before a wheel would colapse, unless you make it out of foam or something.

Also, what parts would you recommend I use if I were to configure a single powered caster assembly comprised of two 6 inch diameter wheels where I'd use two EX-106 Dynamixel servos (maybe coupled together) to power each wheel (one servo per wheel) for traveling along a surface (pitch plane) and one Dynamixel-64 servo to power angular rotation (yaw plane). Would I need any brackets to accomplish this configuration?

Yeah, you would need a bracket to couple the 2 servo's together, and you would need a bracket to connect the rx-64 to the coupled ex-106's. I don't think EX-106's are a very cost effective solution for doing what you are doing though, dynamixel servo's have the capability to do full rotations, but there are other solutions out there that probably would be better suited for it.

I'm a strong programmer, but a weak mechanical engineer, so I need some guidance conceptualizing the mechanical configuration of the dual-wheel powered caster assembly mentioned above.

Thanks,
Sam Q

answers in bold