PDA

View Full Version : [Project] Home Automated Vaccumm (XV-11)

dtomcat
08-20-2011, 10:38 PM
OK, here are the details.

I am making my Home automation server talk to my XV-11. This will allow me to control the XV-11 via voice, phone, and internet. Project will be done in stages with each stage a little more complicated.

Simplified: Creating a serial link using two XBee Series 1 chip antenna's. Use that link to communicate with my XV-11 by my Home Automation Server.

Detailed:
Phase 1: create a circuit using XBee's to wireless link my automation server and XV-11 together. set up automation server to send commands to XV-11 sent from Voice, telephone, or Internet commands. Commands like Clean, stop, or clean room.

Phase 2: Set up automation server to track traffic in each room. give it parameters that in turn will use that info along with other various sensors to determine if the floors need cleaned or not. This way I'm not stuck to a schedule, and not wasting time and power vaccuuming when not needed.

Phase 3: (not sure about this one)... using same sensors... any if needed maybe more hardware installed into XV-11... and custom application to be middle man between server and XV-11 to allow two way communication for alerts to be TEXT'd to my phone (bin needs emptied, any error that occurs, etc). but using same sensors, be able to target specific rooms to be cleaned. this way i'm not cleaning rooms that are already clean, but still cleaning the ones that do.

Phase 1 is nearly complete. I've mocked up the circuits and all seems like it's working. I'm waiting on some parts to arrive on Tuesday to make it a cleaner install inside the XV-11. I'll try to make document all steps that I do, to allow others to follow in my footsteps if they want.

So far, the only completed part is the desktop part of the communication. I'll attach a txt document of all parts ordered and pictures of what's finished. After all is completed i'll try to write up (in an easy to understand) document on how to repeat it.

Let me know if you guys are interested!

-Rob

Edit: Just noticed I mispelled "Vaccuum" in title, but can't fix it!!! DOH!

dtomcat
08-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Alright.... All done with the Internal parts (building it). Have tested it and when in "test" mode... i get all characters typed echo'd back to me. when in regular mode... i get nothing (which i should... because I do not have it hooked up to anything to reply to requests). Board looks nice and clean which i'm happy with. I will not install it into my XV-11 till later this week. I want to get one more part (a power connector to allow me to take the board out of the XV-11 without having to unsolder the power). once I have that... I will look for a small enclosure to put it in for neatness... but i'm not sure I will find a small enough one to fit... if I can't... then I"ll just Electrical tape it up to ensure i don't short anything out as the XV-11 moves around. I Think i'm going to take Leave from the military soon to finish up.. maybe this thursday... I"ll take 10 days to ensure I have it all tested out. Once I know everything works i'll try to make up everything someone would need to repeat the work I did.

Keep in mind i'm horrible with words! so this will be crude documentation. This was a little rough soldering, so I'd recommend some decent soldering skills... if your not that great... then find someone who is... or practice now!

I'll include some pictures of my finished board.... let me know what you guys think!

-Rob

hash79
08-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Rob,

Looks great man! On the pic of the bottom side of your circuit board, did you use epoxy or hot glue as a potting compound for the wiring? Have you been to http://www.xv11hacking.com? Go there and create a login and we can create a page there for your project if you would like. Remotely operating your XV-11 is a really cool idea that I'm sure others would like to duplicate. I'd be more than happy to read over your documentation and help edit it as well. The xv11 website is setup as a wiki so everyone that is a member can edit/make changes to help improve the information.

-Hash

dtomcat
08-24-2011, 06:59 AM
Hash,
it is indeed hot glue. easier to take off if needed! :) As for the site, I don't have a problem if anyone wants to post this there... for me... I don't feel I belong on something like that... All I did was take your work and simple cut the wire... as I'm sure you have already done. As for the wirelessly controlling it... I'll be sending commands from my home automation software (atleast at first). These commands came from your work at "Communicating with XV-11." If I make this a two way communication, I'll be using my own application and i'll post it here. All it would do is simple parse feedback. Thanks for the invitation!

-Rob

dtomcat
08-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Good and bad news.... good news... it works!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NtUuYszsG8

Bad news: nice and clean failed... wouldn't fit in the XV-11, so I did a wire only job... basically

took the 4 pin straight connectors added wires to them to plug into the voltage regulator (3 pin) then split wires to accept input voltage and output the regulated 5v to the XBee chip and adapter (unsoldered the header... and just solder 4 wires directly onto the adapter). adapter has GND, 5V, TX, RX soldered onto it. then the TX, RX, and GND goes from adapter to another 4 pin connector.... that plugs into the Motherboard.

so does work... but space constraints required a VERY UGLY install... admist my anger I forgot to take pictures... so it will be a schematic only documentation... I AM NOT taking that thing apart. found a wire so badly gooned up from factory that a simple touch and it came apart (bad QA neato!!)... I repair that ... but don't care to go back in!. schematic and more details to come after my blood pressure comes back down!

Another option (for a clean install) that JUST came to me... is to mount hardware at the top of dust bin and seal it off so no dust gets in.... the it would be plug and play after you did minor soldering on the Motherboard. just an idea.

let me know what you think!

-Rob

Xevel
08-25-2011, 04:34 AM
The install might be unsatisfactory to you, but still the result is impressive!

Good work dtomcat!

dtomcat
08-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the comments... I'm just happy its done! :) Now on to the software side to make the "smart" vacuum even smarter!!! :)

dtomcat
08-31-2011, 01:31 AM
As promised, Here is a link to the Schematic (picture).

Link to Picture: http://i52.tinypic.com/pvwoi.jpg

To setup the two Xbee chips to talk to each other... follow the example in the Xbee Manual... basically you have to set up one with a "MY" address as 0x01 (hex for one)... and the other "MY" as 0x02 (yep... 2 in hex). then set up the "DL" in 01 as 0x02... and "DL" 0x01 in the 02 chip. Also make sure the Network ID is the same in both chips...

Sounds complicated, but the manual walks you through it! it's very easy... then just use the USB adapter mentioned earlier (used as the deskptop unit) to program both chips... then put one in the adafruit adapter... (doesn't matter which one).

also notice... i removed the Header from the Adafruit adapter... (this is not connected by default... i had connected while waiting for other parts to arrive... then removed it after found it wouldn't fit the first way!)

If you have questions... post here and I'll try to answer them!

As always... let me know what you think!

-Rob

hash79
08-31-2011, 02:02 AM
That is awesome Rob!! I figured when I saw your initial pics it would never fit but didn't want to rain on the parade... There's always a way to get it done!

I like your idea about partially modifying a dustbin, xbee module is thin so it would work well.

-Hash

hash79
08-31-2011, 02:02 AM
That is awesome Rob!! I figured when I saw your initial pics it would never fit but didn't want to rain on the parade... There's always a way to get it done!

I like your idea about partially modifying a dustbin, xbee module is thin so it would work well.

-Hash

dtomcat
08-31-2011, 02:53 AM
GRRRR... :genmad: Forgot to mention you (Hash) on the schematic... and to thank you!! All of my work was based on all of your work!!! without yours... Mine would never be!!! So thanks for all your hardwork and GREAT documentation on your blog!!

been 32 hours since sleep... been up playing Madden 12 and then took a break to create the schematic (a bit more work than anticipated with photoshop). Got excited I finished, that I posted prematurely :) Alright Off to sleep!

-Rob