PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Battery or charger problem

blastdog
08-24-2011, 07:11 PM
I am having a problem with either the battery or charger that came with the bioloid premium kit and I either can't charge it or it won't hold a charge. The lipo smart charger flashes both red and green lights at the same time and then they both go off. It used to turn either green or red depending on if it was charged now it Won't work. Please Help if you know what the problem is so I can either fix or replace what's broken

Stobs
08-24-2011, 07:19 PM
What battery? What battery charger? What's the battery's current voltage reading?

tician
08-24-2011, 08:43 PM
From the trossen product page (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/p/lbc-10-bioloid-premium-Lipo-battery-charger.aspx), when both red and green LEDs are flashing, it is indicative of a bad battery connection. Check the connector and wires of the battery for any damage. Are you using only the four pin (3S) balancing connector with the two pin power connector disconnected from the CM-510?

Basic diagnostic questions for Lipos:
How old is the system? How many times and with what frequently have you cycled the battery? Have you let the voltage of the battery drop below ~10V? Have you shorted any of the power connectors?

Depending on chemistry and manufacturer quality, lipos can last up to ~3 years and ~1000 full charge/discharge cycles. The deeper the discharge the shorter its usable life in years. If you have ever let it drop to ~9V, you have likely damaged one or more of the three individual cells in the battery. The Robotis provided Lipo is a 10C 1000mAh battery, so it can provide a maximum of ~10A before you risk the built-in protection circuit intervening (never tested any of ours, but with some manufacturers the protection circuit permanently disables the battery. Better a dead battery than a fire/explosion). If you exceeded this rated current by shorting the power leads or by some other method, you may have permanently damaged the battery.

blastdog
08-24-2011, 08:56 PM
i unplug the battery from the cm-510 when i charge it but it doesnt seem to charge anyways so ill check the connection. the weird part is i didnt have the battery on or even near my robot for like a month because i just plugged the cm-510 into the wall (without the cm-510 plugged into the battery) and used it like that so i was surprised when it didnt work all of a sudden. :/