PDA

View Full Version : Pro Lite V2 vs. Turnigy LiPo's

Stobs
10-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Considering the price points, I'm contemplating going with a Turnigy 3S 35C 5000mAh LiPo for about $50+tx, s&h, or the Pro Lite V2 3S 20C 4350 mAh for about $100+tx, s&h.

On occasion you get more than you pay for but, usually, it's market-comparable or less, so I'm wondering if anyone here's used both, a Turnigy with another brand of LiPo or simply just a Turnigy battery(ies), and what their impressions of them are.

Another point in favor of the Turnigy for me is that I've sourced a [Turnigy] LVD, with a 3S to 8S range, for about $2.50.

With the support that's offered here I'd much rather buy through the TR store site but, we're not talking a 10% or so difference in price, so from a budgetary standpoint I really do need to look at this alternative.

Constructive comments are most welcome, thanks.

gdubb2
10-04-2011, 03:47 PM
I don't know about the LiPo's, since I don't use them, but have been using Tenergy Nimh in my mech from the beginning. They have worked OK, but with limitations. After I finally bought a Triton 2 charger, I did some discharge tests with my packs, and found that they only produced about half of the claimed capacity. I was using 1000Mah AAA Nimh packs that actually only had a capacity of maybe 600Mah. But they are cheap.. nuff said.

Back in the day when I was running a Combot, I would ONLY use Sanyo cells for my packs as they were simply the best available. And they did indeed prove to be just that, so I am switching back to Sanyos for my new Mech. Maggot Mk3. They cost 3X as much as Tenergys, but if they are as good as the ones I used in my combots, they will be worth it.

So I guess my recommendation would be to use the best batteries you can afford. I do believe that you do get what you pay for in some cases. I would look at what batterys the Heli and airplane guys use. They don't want a high$$ Heli dropping out of the sky from a low battery. The Thunder Powers are well proven..

gary

Stobs
10-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Hi gdubb2,

Thank you very much for your timely and informative reply - very much appreciated Gary.

With your comments here, I'm considering having three types of batteries - one modest and one high mAh, budget-conscious NiMH's for development and implementation testing as well as long-duration testing, respectively (I'm also looking towards applications outside of MW/-like events), and one (+ back-ups) high quality LiPo for competitions.

Naturally I'd take the different voltage outputs of the NiMH's & LiPo's into account, as well as thoroughly test with the LiPo but, I'm surmising that 10.8V NiMH's and 11.1V LiPo's are sufficiently close in voltage, especially when charged ranges are taken into account, that the design parameters of my bots regarding voltage wouldn't be significantly affected ...well, with the voltage-sensitivity of the devices I'm likely to use for the time being.

After some web surfing, it seems the whole battery picture could change in the not-too-distant future (if everything pans out): MAIL batteries (http://newenergyandfuel.com/http:/newenergyandfuel/com/2010/12/14/a-metal-air-battery-dream-gets-traction/)! :)

Regards

draikani
10-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Hey Stobs,

I use the turnigy lipo's for some of my remote control stuff and they are fantastic. They are true full capacity (frequently over capacity), and the company isn't over rating their discharge rates either. Those discharge rates are a good place to save money by the way. That 35c battery you picked can handle 175 amps continuous, if you stepped down to a 20c it would handle 100amps continuous and cost only about $25, as well as weighing less. Now I don't know your application, so you may need that 35c, but it's just good to be aware of the options =) Now I haven't used the Pro Lite V2's, so I don't know how they compare, but the general consensus among a lot of the rc people seems to be that the pricier stuff isn't worth it. But again this will depend on your application, you may need to eek out every little bit of power you can. Personally I would recommend you the Zippy Flightmax batteries. They are almost always over capacity, and tend to be a little lighter and cheaper than Turnigy's.

One thing to be aware of when using different chemistries on the same project is that your platform will have a different weight depending on the pack you put in it. Again this may not affect your application but it's good to know.

Hope this was helpful!

gdubb2
10-06-2011, 10:22 AM
I may have got caught up in a spelling difference here. If so, I apologize for any confusion I may have created. The batteries I had issues with were Tenergy,, not Turnigy.

Sorry if I caused a problem.
Gary

Stobs
10-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Hi draikani, gdubb2,

Thank you both very much for your replies which, as usual, are very much appreciated.

@gdubb2: No worries my friend. Even thinking at the time that you were referring to Turnigy rather than Tenergy batteries (which I came across while web surfing subsequently), they still fit into my budget/premium battery strategy outlined above.

@draikani: I had been thinking that there'd be more of a size difference that I needed to take into account but, the weight issues you brought up may well be more of a consideration. For my stationary turret it obviously won't be much of an issue but, for my quad, I was already planning on laying out the battery placement at the bottom and close to the horizontal position of it's CG as possible. With the lighter LiPo's used for competitions I'm thinking the gaits would likely be effected, so my gratitude in bringing that to my attention. I have a lot to learn yet before I tackle a biped but, hopefully, I'll still be able to field the quad this year and then both the quad and a biped for MW'13 - and I'll naturally apply lessons learned appropriately.

Regards

[PS: @draikani: Meant to mention that I had been wondering about the Flightmax batteries as I'd seen positive comments about them on some RC forum or other previously so, with your informative post, I will research them as well before making a purchase. Thanks again.]

r691175002
10-19-2011, 11:44 PM
As far as I am concerned, turnigy and its related HK-based gear are one of the best things to happen to rc modelling and by extension robotics. The vast majority of their products are sold at small fractions of what the equivalent would cost in a local store.

Of course, some of it is garbage and the quality isn't always there but in most cases you get ~90% of the performance for less than half the cost. I literally would not have nearly as much involvement in these hobbies if they didn't exist.

Back to the question, turnigy batteries (the nano-techs in particular) are very solid performers and pretty much a staple among hobbiests.

How do they compare to name brands? (of which Thunder power and Hyperion are solid names) There are more detailed studies on rcgroups.com but the sparknotes is that off-brand batteries have higher internal resistance (an issue at extremely high discharge rates) and tend to degrade faster (having useful lives of 1/2 to 1/3 that of the name brands although that gap is closing).

If you are flying stick with lipos. What brand you choose is up to you. I personally go with turnigy for anything on ground or fixed wing. Helicoptors/quadrotors sometimes need that extra punch especially as the batteries are dying so having lower resistance can increase flight time a minute or two. Even then, 80% of my batteries are still turnigy (with the rest being hyperion).

Stobs
11-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Hi r691175002,

My apologies on this exceedingly tardy reply. At this point I'm not involved in aerial robotics (although I do have a concept in mind), but the information you provided is very helpful nonetheless, so your reply is very much appreciated. For now I'm going to continue with my new path of utilizing Turnigy batteries, although I may also explore the LiFe technology - and I will ensure that my supplies are sourced from warehouse located within the continental US, but that's a different thread (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?5172-Overseas-purchases). :)

Regards