PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Guru's????

whichwayisup
10-05-2011, 04:49 PM
I have no experience or idea on how to build what I need. I want an inexpensive IR sensor set up that will control a cycle a motorized agitator one revolution. It can only turn on when the line is broke at greater than three feet and not cycle when an object breaks the line within three feet. Kinda like an automatic flusher. Any help would be much appreciated!

Gertlex
10-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Howdy!
Most IR range sensors have a deadspace where they don't give meaningful measurements e.e.g a sensor might give meaningful readings at a range of 20 to 80 cm. In particular, I'm thinking of Sharp IR rangefinders such as Sparkfun sells. I've never actually used one (I have one though x) ).

You should detail what "inexpensive" is, though, and what sort of motor we're talking.

whichwayisup
10-05-2011, 08:22 PM
The price of the components can be whatever it needs to be, but cheaper is better. :happy: For the motor, it only needs to be strong enough to turn the agitator and a candy like m&ms, skittles, etc.

darkback2
10-07-2011, 12:38 PM
I think a drawing is in order...Even pencil on paper so that we can get a better idea what you are trying to make. Also...check out Allelectronics (http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/400400/Motors/DC-Gear-Motors/1.html). They have tons of used DC gearhead motors that could probably do the trick.

whichwayisup
10-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Please forgive the crude drawing. I am also open to suggestions and other ideas to make the project cost efficient. Would like it to be about the size of half a baby wipe box. Thanks again for any help you can provide.