PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Arbotix Pypose Read failed: servo id X

Ron
11-05-2011, 05:24 PM
I am having problems connecting to my Arbotix board in pypose, I was able to upload pypose to the board in arduino got the Upload complete dialog. I notice even though I got the upload complete message from arduino i saw orange flashing light on the isp board. When I run pypose and try to capture the pose I get the servo Read failed error. I edited the programmers file and the boards file. The com port in pypose is set properly. I am trying to program via the ISP cable and breakout board from the arbotix starter kit., the cable is plugged in properly (cable overside not over chip) , I am using 8 ax12 servos, and the jumper is in place on the board for bioloid servos. if i look at the com ports in device manager, there default speed is 9600,i also tried at 38400 ?. Here are my pc specs :
W7 64 bit
Python 2.7.2
wxpython 2.8 32bit unicode
pyserial 2.5
latest pypose

Help greatly apreciated.

lnxfergy
11-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Does each servo have a different ID? (if they were new out of the box, they all have ID 1, and are probably conflicting). Can you write to servos by moving the sliders and "setting" the pose?

-Fergs

Ron
11-05-2011, 05:48 PM
thank you for your fast response, yes new out of box, did not set id's. I am at work now I will try as soon as I get home.

lnxfergy
11-05-2011, 06:05 PM
thank you for your fast response, yes new out of box, did not set id's. I am at work now I will try as soon as I get home.

Yea, so you want to attach the servos one at a time and change the IDs. The PyPose Terminal can be used to change ids.

-Fergs

Ron
11-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Ok, only 1 servo pluged into the board, if i give it a ls command from terminal , I get the fail read error.
Note: i still see the flashing orange light, did i read somewhere I want to see green ?

cire
11-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Are you trying to use the ISP as a serial cable? You have to use the either a FTDI cable, or the paired XBEE's to communicate between the computer and the arbotix - the ISP is only for loading the program.

Ron
11-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Are you trying to use the ISP as a serial cable? You have to use the either a FTDI cable, or the paired XBEE's to communicate between the computer and the arbotix - the ISP is only for loading the program.
I am using the ISP cable I am trying to do pose and capture, I must have misunderstood something in the docs along the way. I will go ahead and check my pairing on my xbee's and try and connect. I will come back and post how I made out.

Ron
11-06-2011, 05:46 PM
success !!! I have wireless control. I guess I had it setup correct, just did not realize I had to control it like this, I really like this board. Thanks to both of you guys for helping me. One last question, check out the screen shot, see that error level code, what does that mea, everything is working fine...

Ron
11-06-2011, 05:47 PM
crap bad screen but i had one that said error level 1

Ron
11-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Everythign was going fine I was changing the Id's on the servos 1 at a time, than I lost comm with the board, hit the on board rest, it worked a few times, now nothing.. I reuploaded pypose it uploaded ok, still cant get back in, strange.

Ron
11-06-2011, 07:44 PM
After messing around for an hour, I figured what are the chances of the servo being no good, seeing its brand new out of the box,So I grabbed another one and it worked fine....

Ron
11-07-2011, 01:10 AM
New problem :genmad:
Everything will work fine for a few commands than i get the read error and than I have to push the reset button on the board it will be good for a few more poses have to hit reset again. Suggestions?

tician
11-07-2011, 08:42 AM
What sort of power supply are you using? The 12V-5A SMPS from Robotis? Did you change anything in 'pypose.pde' before you uploaded it? Have any of the LEDs on any AX-12 begun flashing other than the first time they are plugged in/given power? Have you re-tested the servo you replaced earlier? Do you possibly have a USB2Dynamixel (arbotix should be able to do this as well) to independently test the servos and read/verify all of their register values?

Ron
11-07-2011, 11:33 AM
What sort of power supply are you using? The 12V-5A SMPS from Robotis? Did you change anything in 'pypose.pde' before you uploaded it? Have any of the LEDs on any AX-12 begun flashing other than the first time they are plugged in/given power? Have you re-tested the servo you replaced earlier? Do you possibly have a USB2Dynamixel (arbotix should be able to do this as well) to independently test the servos and read/verify all of their register values?

What sort of power supply are you using? The 12V-5A SMPS from Robotis?
I am using a standard regulated 12v power supply (not the robotis one).

Did you change anything in 'pypose.pde' before you uploaded it?
No changes were made.

Have any of the LEDs on any AX-12 begun flashing other than the first time they are plugged in/given power?
No, they just flash on that first power up.

Have you re-tested the servo you replaced earlier?
Yes and no. I did try and mess with it again last night the problem is/was from terminal say i give the ls command, it will show as id1 (new out of the box) on this servo i could not reassign the ID it would crash everytime no matter what. (by crash I mean after i give it the new ID I would not be able to read it again without resetting the board, and after the reset the ID would always still be 1) I will retest it once this problem is fixed as I beleive the servo to be good.

Do you possibly have a USB2Dynamixel (arbotix should be able to do this as well) to independently test the servos and read/verify all of their register values?
Yes I have a USB2dynamixel. However i am farily certain the servos are fine, as stated everything works fine in pypose capture etc, I can move all the servos from the program I can get the reading etc, but after a few commands (anywhere from 2 -4) I will start to get the read fail error and a reset button push is needed.

Ron
11-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Update
I have been working this issue for a few days and have tried many things, I decided to re upload Pypose to the board, so I plugged in my ISP cable and did so. Closed Arduino started pypose but left my ISP cable plugged in to the board and to my PC. I start pypose set the port for my xbee, go to terminal, type ls i see all the servos, I do this a few times for laughs all is well, Switch to pose mode, all is great I edit a few steps, Im thinking wow it most have needed a fresh upload, this is the longest i have ran without having to hit the reset button on the board (almost got this thing walking !). So I quit the program, shut everthing down, Unplug the ISP cable, reboot, start pypose 2 or 3 commands into it servo read fail error !!! So for laughs I plug in my ISP cable push the reset button on the arbotix board all is well again, i did have 1 crash but that was after an hour or so of hacking the thing. Looking for any input on to what to look at from here. Why would leaving my ISP cable plugged in prevent the servo read fails. Things that come to mind are , Power supply ? could the usb/isp interface be feeding more power to the board? Another thing on my mind since the start of this is, I run W7 64bit, could it be the cause ? I have a rig coming in a few days set up with XP untill than i cant try to run on on XP.

Ron
11-08-2011, 03:24 AM
Problem Solved :happy:

Last 2 things I did :

1. Switched over from Power supply to Battery.

2. Updated the firmware in the xbee's

All is well, I really like this board.

tician
11-09-2011, 01:32 PM
After ~3 weeks sitting in the box, I finally broke out one of the two arbotix's in the lab. Pretty well replicated the problem when trying to be lazy by using a 12V-0.41A power supply from a dead dsl router. The arbotix stays continuously powered (programs correctly via Pololu ISP and example code from XBee tutorial works fine), and the LEDs of the two (did not even work with just one) AX-12+ will flash once at initial power on, but they never respond to pypose. Switch over to the 12V-5A SMPS from Robotis and all is well (with no other changes to software or hardware).

Removed the arbotix from the bus and it successfully powered two AX-12+ while communicating with a USB2Dynamixel over TTL. Go figure. Did not think the arbotix used that much power.

lnxfergy
11-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Go figure. Did not think the arbotix used that much power.

The ArbotiX should only be using about 20-30mA plus whatever the the digital IO and XBEE are consuming.

-Fergs

Ron
11-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Interesting, In retrospec I do not think it was my PS , I am a ham radio operator (K1XGT) , and have no shortage of Kick ass power supplies :). In this case I was using a smaller one, it was a pyramid 12v, that can put out up to 10 A if need be. Another thing I notice, I bought a laptop used on ebay with XP pro on it just to run the bots around, Everything seems a lot smoother under XP versus W7 64. I have not had 1 crash since, and all is well. Now I want to buy another Arbotix board for my other bot, lol. Thanks guys

tician
11-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Since my curiosity is further piqued, I guess I will be taking my FTDI breakout board in tomorrow to test without the Xbee's. It was also on the newer Win7 64-bit comp instead of the usual XP machine, so that's another thing for me to test along with current draw of each device.

tician
11-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Sorry I can't be more helpful as to the true cause of your earlier difficulties, but glad you got it working. I can now say without any doubt the problems that I was experiencing were due to the piss poor power supply. It is mostly able to use the pypose terminal and sometimes manage to relax, capture, and set poses, but fails more often than not (requiring a board reset). Swap in the Robotis SMPS and voila, everything works without any 'Fail Read' errors. Guess an AX-12 is just too much for the little thing to handle. The XBee's are the standard 1mW wire whip antenna modules (Series 1 with firmware version 0x10EC) from the trossen shop at 38400bps with XBee retries (RR) = 4.