PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] ArbotiX Board: AVR Studio 5: Pololu USB AVR Programmer

dandbd
11-14-2011, 04:10 AM
Hi there,

I have been programming the ArbotiX using the FTDI and Aduino environment. However I would like to get my Pololu USB AVR Programmer going. I have installed the drivers for Windows 7 64Bit and have access to the following ports:

The AVR Programmer firmware has been upgraded to 1.06a as suggested.

I have a screenshot attached with the error I get. Every time I hit the Read button I get that error. I know that the ArbotiX runs at 16MHz. And the closes I can get for ISP Clock Frequency at quarter of the speed is 115.2 kHz. Am I right in thinking that? I have tried lower and higher frequencies too.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

HSPalm
11-14-2011, 06:37 AM
You don't want the ISP speed as close to 1/4 of the operating frequency as possible. The lower the better, only more time consuming.

edit: can you scroll down a bit on the error message, maybe revealing more text?

HSPalm
11-14-2011, 06:46 AM
I see your problem now. you're using AVR Studio 5, which doesn't support AVRISP, neither AVRISP mkII (you however have chosen STK500 which is yet another programmer/eval. board). It's apparently too old for atmel too support, duh.... Download AVR Studio 4 and you'll be fine. There are also several other standalone programming software out there that support AVRISP

dandbd
11-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks for getting back to me HSPalm,

LOL, Regarding the image I posted, I simply shrank the window to minimize the image. There is actually no other text when you scroll the window.

As for AVR Studio 4, I upgraded the firmware on the AVR USB Programmer, and it makes it appear as a STK500 and the latest documentation for the Pololu USB AVR Programmer explains its usage with AVR Studio 5.

So I am kindof two hearted about installing AVR Studio 4 now. After reading this what do you recommend? Go the AS4?

Thanks again HSPalm.

Oh! I have a question. What other software do you speak of that uses the Pololu USB AVR Programmer?

HSPalm
11-15-2011, 01:44 AM
Sure, you can keep trying, he he. But Atmel has actually said specifically they do not support AVRISP in AVR Studio 5, just so you know. As I was working on a project yesterday I also noticed that my pololu programmer appeared as "STK500 in ISP mode" in AVR Studio 4. This is when I chose simply AVRISP and my COM port. What I ALSO noticed, can be found on the end of this thread http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=59094&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=5604bdcf0759e8893ead99f784865ccf my username is HenrikPalm. Just notice the problem, and my solution, for future reference.

tician
11-15-2011, 02:53 PM
If I remember correctly, the Arduino IDE actually uses a program called avrdude to upload code over the ISP. I use plain avr-gcc to compile to the hex file and then avrdude to upload the machine code via a USBtinyISP from Adafruit. If you were so inclined, you could just use AVRStudio4/5 to compile your code without messing with makefiles and then use avrdude to upload it.