PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used a PandaBoard?



DancesWithRobots
12-18-2011, 02:34 PM
It runs Ubuntu, and there's a wikipage for pandaros, but it's described as having dependency issues, and no support from Willow Garage. Does anyone have any personal experience with it? I'm mostly interested in rosserial which I've been planning to run via an ITX series SMB. But the PandaBoard's 5v power supply sure make it attractive.

lnxfergy
12-19-2011, 06:25 PM
It runs Ubuntu, and there's a wikipage for pandaros, but it's described as having dependency issues, and no support from Willow Garage. Does anyone have any personal experience with it? I'm mostly interested in rosserial which I've been planning to run via an ITX series SMB. But the PandaBoard's 5v power supply sure make it attractive.

Most things in ROS don't have support from Willow Garage as the ROS community is much larger than Willow, so don't let that discourage you. That said, I've seen a couple of demos of ROS on PandaBoard (a number of members of the Home Brew Robotics Club are PandaBoard users, some of those users are also ROS users). rosserial should work fine on the PandaBoard as the only dependencies are that the build system and rospy work (which they do). If you later want to do some heavier lifting you may have trouble (for instance, getting the Kinect to work with a panda board).

-Fergs

DancesWithRobots
12-20-2011, 06:47 AM
OK, this is an encouraging start. A few months ago, I did some, call it "playing around," with ROS and got through the basic tutorials and the rosserial tutorials. I had put it aside for a while, but now I'm ready to get in a little deeper.

My plans are to use a 4 channel motor controller that uses 4 analog lines for motor current sensing, 8 digital inputs and 4 interrupts for the 4 quadrature controllers and 8 more digital outputs for four channels of motor speed and direction control. (Total of 24 Arduino Mega pins so far.)

A future enhancement is to hang about 10 RC style servos, modified by tapping the wiper for position sensing, off of the same number of PWM control lines and analog sense lines. (Two simple 4 dof arms and a pan/tilt sensor array.) Total of 44 Arduino lines used, and I realize I may be bumping into Arduino limits when it comes to interrupts, PWM and analog lines and fanout (Does anyone still use that term?)

My plan is to use the an Arduino Mega software compatible clone to publish sensor data, (Position data from the 10 servos, odometry from the 4 quadrature encoders, and the drive motor current.) And subscribe to commands from the main processor, (the aforementioned PandaBoard) that direct the motors and servos. Along the way perhaps I can write a driver for the motor controller/Mega combination.

I know it's a big project, but it's approachable, tho challenging for my current skill set.

Fergs, I know I'm asking a lot out of a Mega and a lightweight CPU, but do you think there's a chance I can squeeze my project out of this?

--Update. I've found the ROS electric deb build report and it seems there are quite a few dependency issues with the ARM releases. I don't think that will always be an issue as ARM systems become more common. But I guess if I want to proceed down this path, I'll probably have to get a little more involved "under the hood," so to speak.

Peter_heim
02-12-2012, 03:08 AM
Hi DancesWithRobots
I just completed a small robot for my son using a BeagleBoard and a Arbotix running ubuntu 11.10 and a source install of ROS electric.
The biggest problem was rosmake of some of the modules (robot_model wouldn't make) so i just launched a roscore and the Arbotix on
BeagleBoard and robot state publisher the urdf and movebase on another computer with Rviz. when i have more time i want to add some sensors (IR and Sonar) to the base and stream a USB camera back to the main computer to do face tracking and face recognition

Peter
3746

DancesWithRobots
02-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks for your input. Soon after I posted this, I found the electric debbuild report page, which indicates a lot of issues with ROS and arm devices, so I ended up going with a mini itc sbc. I'm hoping to use a pandaboard, or something like it in the future, but I'm still noob when it comes to ROS and I wanted to minimize my problems.