PDA

View Full Version : 2012 MWScore System Ordering Info

DresnerRobotics
01-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Update! Scoring systems can be found here: http://www.trossenrobotics.com/Quadruped-Robot-Hexapod-Robot-Kits.aspx

So here's the deal people. We tried a new transponder board in 2011, and we tried to make it as small and cheap as possible. This meant that we chose to rely upon the internal oscillator- which we found through testing was not a reliable component. With temperature fluctuation, the crystal was changing frequency and causing the boards to not work consistently. On top of that, some people didn't like how thick these boards were as we had headers on one side and an Xbee on the other. Needless to say, we're unable to use this board in future years of Mech Warfare.

The next part of this will likely be met with groans from the community, but I am discontinuing the use of the MINI robocontroller based scoring boards. I was on the fence regarding this for awhile but I think having a standardized, custom built board that works well is the best choice in the long run. We have a couple revisions of the MINIs floating around and as of last year we also had the 2011 miniature transponders, and I'd feel much more comfortable about having everyone on the exact same hardware.

So, without further ado!

Transponder Info:
The 2012+ transponder board is called the MWScore Transponder. Information on the new scoring board and software will be found here: http://www.upgraydlabs.com/projects/mwscore/ (please note, this page is still under construction).

FSR Target Panel Build Tutorial found here. (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?5421-2012-MWScore-FSR-Target-Panel-Build-Tutorial-amp-Info)

It was designed by Upgrayd (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/member.php?3316-Upgrayd), a Mech Warfare veteran and 1st place competitor. This board and accompanying software is 100% open source and will be available for download in the near future. Please note that this information is for reference, if you are competing at an official Mech Warfare event you will be required to purchase one from us, as we want to make sure things are fully tested and assembled correctly. You're more than welcome to make your own for practice and your own events however. In addition to providing the same functionality as previous revisions of the transponder, this board also includes a required 4-ultrabright LED sub-board. This will be mounted on top of each mech during competition, and will flash 3 times rapidly when a hit is registered. This is to provide a visual feedback onboard the mechs in the event that our scoring system fails, and also so that competitors/spectators can tell when a score is made.

35.5x35.5mm size (LED board will be the same size)
Onboard Vreg with 7-12v input.
Atmega168 w/ 16mhz crystal.
6 I/O: 4 target panels, 1 LED board output, 1 hit data output (same as previous years)
38400 baud rate Xbee connection to scoring server

FSR Target Panels:

These remain unchanged from last year and will be shipped as a kit. They consist of 4 FSR's mounted on an ABS back plate, with a thin lexan covering on the front face. The panels have a small PCB on the back, with a 12" 3-pin servo-like plug, and 4 mounting holes (or you can use servo tape or velcro on the lexan panel). Dimension drawings available soon.

We are still offering half-size target panels. You get 2 half-size panels for the same price as one full-size target panel. All mechs are now allowed to use 2 half-size panels for the front panel instead of a single full panel.

Quad/Hexapod/Wheeled mechs will require 4 total FSR target panels (4 full-size OR 3 full-size & 2 half-size for the front).

Bipeds will require 3 total FSR target panels (2 full-size or front/rear & 2 half-size for the side panels OR 1 full-size for rear and 4 half-size for front/sides).

The target panel PCB has been updated:
* Increased board size, so that wires are not as stressed.
* Added ability to snap board into 2, as well as 2 extra headers for making chained panels.

DresnerRobotics
01-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Do not wait to get your orders in on these guys, I need them in ASAP. I'm closing purchasing of these in 2 weeks. If you don't have an order in, you'll be left to fight over the very few units I'll have made as spares.

byi
02-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Oh crud. Orders still open?

giantflaw
02-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Is it too late to order the new boards. I just noticed this info about the new boards. Our club was planning on using our board from last year but I see we must buy new ones. I hope it's not too late. We have rebuilt our mech from RA to RA 2.0.

parallax
02-14-2012, 07:38 AM
I ordered last Friday... am I in the clear?

parallax.panic(on);

DresnerRobotics
02-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Get your orders in ASAP if you want one. If you got them in before the 14th you're fine. I'm ordering parts to populate the boards based on orders TOMORROW.

byi
02-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Did you get my order? Not sure I did it right.

giantflaw
02-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Did you get my order as well. I'm also not sure I did it right.

DresnerRobotics
02-15-2012, 02:24 PM
I have no good way of referencing forum usernames to email addresses without manually looking them up. If you want confirmation your order was received, please forward the original email that you sent me for confirmation to [email protected] I'll go through tonight and respond to everyone who's sent payment in with confirmation.

FINAL WARNING. If your orders are not in before midnight tonight you will be stuck with trying to fight for one of the very few spare transponders I'm having made.

giantflaw
02-16-2012, 08:48 PM
I sent an email about my transponder order on the 13th but have not received a confirmation on my email. Does that mean my order is not valid?

byi
02-17-2012, 01:51 AM
I am in the exact same situation.

giantflaw
02-22-2012, 09:25 AM
I still have not heard back if my order for the new transponder board was accepted. byi have you had your order confirmed yet? I ordered on the 13th and have since sent multiple emails to [email protected] . I have not heard a word back. I this the correct email address to request an order confirmation?

DresnerRobotics
02-24-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm processing everyone's orders this weekend, so you should hear back then.

I'm manufacturing a handful of extra boards, so if for some reason there is a mishap we should be able to accommodate you.

Upgrayd
03-18-2012, 04:22 PM
I have posted two videos to Youtube demonstrating the complete MWScore scoring system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfQ3QyeKQng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfQ3QyeKQng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8muspNqmi6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8muspNqmi6M

matv90
03-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Can anyone tell me how to order the targets and transponder board? I send mails to [email protected] but nobody answer, Im from Mexico so I dont know if the package would arrive in time.

I also want to know if I can buy the board and targets at robogames because I am going to participate.

DresnerRobotics
03-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Please send me an email at: [email protected]

I'll see if I can accommodate you.

parallax
03-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Tybs,

I know you are probably super busy with working on the arena, but can you update us on the status of when the scoring systems might be expected to ship?

Thanks!

DresnerRobotics
03-26-2012, 04:13 PM
These should be shipping out starting tomorrow (Tuesday, 3/27/2012).

Upgrayd
04-01-2012, 05:48 PM
To work with the scoring server xbee radios used with the new transponders MUST be configured with the following settings...

ATBD = 5 (38400bps)
ATID = 6200
MY = 6200 + TRANSPONDER_ID_NUMBER (written on the bottom of each transponder)
DL = 6201
CH = c

Businessman41
04-02-2012, 07:52 PM
We just decided to enter this competition and are currently building our mech. This is our first time entering this competition. How do we get the hit sensors to mount on our robots?

-University of Washington First Robotics Team

DresnerRobotics
04-02-2012, 07:54 PM
We just decided to enter this competition and are currently building our mech. This is our first time entering this competition. How do we get the hit sensors to mount on our robots?

-University of Washington First Robotics Team

Please read the entirety of the first post in this thread. It answers exactly this.

pangrazi
04-04-2012, 06:26 PM
I am not looking to compete this year I am just getting started. I figured the first place for me to start was by getting together a functioning scoring system. I am probably too late to get in on the purchase that just went through and I would hate to steal components away from someone on site looking to compete. I already have the Xbee units but I need to make the sensors and the "scoring system". I realize that come competition time I will need "official" FSRs and the scoring unit, but I would like to build my own for testing or get in on another group purchase. Can you either provide similar docs for the FRS kit like what was provided for the scoring system or any other info that would get me on the right track?

The docs for the other part of the scoring system are great btw!

Thanks for all of the hard work getting this started.

DresnerRobotics
04-04-2012, 09:27 PM
I am not looking to compete this year I am just getting started. I figured the first place for me to start was by getting together a functioning scoring system. I am probably too late to get in on the purchase that just went through and I would hate to steal components away from someone on site looking to compete. I already have the Xbee units but I need to make the sensors and the "scoring system". I realize that come competition time I will need "official" FSRs and the scoring unit, but I would like to build my own for testing or get in on another group purchase. Can you either provide similar docs for the FRS kit like what was provided for the scoring system or any other info that would get me on the right track?

The docs for the other part of the scoring system are great btw!

Thanks for all of the hard work getting this started.

This is a slightly outdated version, as I haven't finished the updated version yet:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/tutorials/how-to-diy-128/mech-warfare-target-panel-assembly-guide-3297/

U (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/tutorials/how-to-diy-128/mech-warfare-target-panel-assembly-guide-3297/)pdated version to come in the near future.

tician
04-05-2012, 01:10 PM
The target panels are just 2 or 4 1.5" square FSR's all connected in parallel and then placed in series with +5V and a single resistor, or has it been changed to each FSR in series with a single resistor on a single trigger/hit signal? Just curious as I yet again seem to be messing with a potential replacement for the HUV Robotics FPS board, and the idea of a back-lit MechWarfare board keeps popping back into my mostly empty head.

lnxfergy
04-05-2012, 03:57 PM
The target panels are just 2 or 4 1.5" square FSR's all connected in parallel and then placed in series with +5V and a single resistor, or has it been changed to each FSR in series with a single resistor on a single trigger/hit signal? Just curious as I yet again seem to be messing with a potential replacement for the HUV Robotics FPS board, and the idea of a back-lit MechWarfare board keeps popping back into my mostly empty head.

The schematic/layout for the 2011 FSR boards (which I believe is still the same for 2012) is available here: http://code.google.com/p/mechwarfare/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fboards%2F2011-target-panel

-Fergs

tician
04-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Not sure how I missed all those files. Looks like I just got the voltage polarity backward. I'm guessing the resistor is >70k (100k is a nice, round, easily acquired value) to get the voltage at impact below the 1.5V upper threshold of logic 0 for an ATmega168 running on 5V.

gdubb2
04-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Tician.. the resistors are 5K on the original FSR boards.

Gary

lnxfergy
04-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Yep, as gdubb says, we used 5.1k resistors last year -- honestly, anything in the ~5k range works. The problem I saw with higher resistances is that we get some "ringing" on the signal line.

-Fergs

tician
04-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Thanks for correcting my stupid yet again. I knew I used a really low estimate of airsoft BB impact force, but didn't think it was that far off.

lumpen5
04-07-2012, 09:16 PM
ahhh behind the eight ball!
I will hit the link and order tonight

DresnerRobotics
04-07-2012, 10:24 PM
ahhh behind the eight ball!
I will hit the link and order tonight

Ordering closed on Friday. I sent out multiple emails last week to registered competitors that had not ordered a scoring system.

byi
06-16-2012, 04:34 PM
I've given up on my current set of target panels. After tweaking them continually to make them mount better, they are looking pretty shabby. I plan to switch to placing my pcbs remotely and using female header fsrs. However, my pcbs and panels are not in great shape. They are usable with some maintenance, but replacement would be a much better option. Any way I could get 4 panels and 4 pcbs? If not, I can easily make my own circuits to replace the pcbs and make my own panels if that would be legal. Just checking. Thanks.

jwatte
11-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Are you opening orders for next year yet?
I'm trying to put all the pieces together early so I can spend Christmas break robustifying and practicing, rather than building...

DresnerRobotics
11-14-2012, 11:47 AM
They're going to be available at the Trossen store for purchase, hopefully before christmas. The price will go up to retail- I can't keep doing these on the side as last year it ended up costing me a considerable amount out of pocket to make up for the fact that the manufacturer dropped the ball on supply. Also takes a considerable amount of labor to assemble/ship everything and keep track. The new Transponders will have an ID-select on the board itself, so users can define which ID they're using. All profits will go to funding Mech Warfare.

jwatte
11-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the update! Too bad I didn't get in last year ;-)

Sorry Robot
12-09-2012, 05:45 AM
Tyberius

I am new to this forum and was in a hurry to order parts for the scoring system and did not read the next four pages of messages.

I placed an order on Nov 20, 2012, for $250.90, not realizing that you might not be accepting new orders!
I paid via PAYPAL and sent an email as instructed but have not yet received a reply.

I have also sent (2) additional emails with no reply.

Please check your [email protected] email account for my order details.

If you cannot complete the order, then please send a refund via PAYPAL, as these funds are NOT a donation.

Thank you!

DresnerRobotics
12-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Sent you an email. I do not check my [email protected] email regularly so was unaware you even placed an order. I can handle this order since you've already sent the money.

giantflaw
12-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Are you saying the new target plates are available for order now? If not when do you expect them ready for order? The end of the year is fast coming.

jwatte
12-10-2012, 04:17 PM
I think he's saying he found some of the old ones so ordering is on according to the old ordering rules.
I just sent in my order to that papal address, so here's hoping he will check email soon again :-)

DresnerRobotics
12-10-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm saying I still have stock of the older transponders, though I'll have to double check just how many after jwatte put in his order (received btw, give me until Monday to ship). I might have one left after that.

The old transponders do indeed still work, the primary difference is that they have to be programmed to change the ID rather than having it switch select (this mostly is a convenience for the organizers, doesn't affect the competitors all that much as you need to stick with your assigned ID regardless). The old transponders are slightly smaller as well.

giantflaw
01-19-2013, 11:53 AM
When will the new batch of target plates and board be available for order for 2013? I have a new mech I built for the 2013 robogames but a missing the target system.

giantflaw
03-09-2013, 12:39 PM
It's getting pretty late again. Robogames is next month and still no word on when we can order target plates. Where can we hear what the news is on the target plates availability. There does not seem to be a place that gives the status of the target plates.

tician
03-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Posted one day ago:

Scoring systems are going live on the website next week. Everyone who pre-ordered will ship out when they go live. We had multiple things that held them up (including even the FSR company flaking out on us) but we have things back on track now.

giantflaw
03-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Will we order the target system directly from Trossen or will they be ordered the same way in 2012? Where will it be announced that it's time to order and how? Will it be on this thread?

Sorry Robot
03-12-2013, 02:54 AM
GiantFlaw,
Trossen now has the 2013 "Mech Warfare" Transponder set for sale!

Item #: ASM-Transponder, Price: $49.95, Contents: 2013 Transponder, LED sub-board, and cable.
http://www.trossenrobotics.com/mw-transponder

You can also get the FSRs (sensors only) from Trossen;
http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/6496-1-5-Inch-Force-Sensing-Resistor-FSR.aspx

The only parts missing from Trossen are the black ABS back plate, and the Lexan cover plate.

Tyberius,
If you read this, is there a way that Trossen could also sell the "Back Plate" and "Cover Plate"?

Or at the very least, post a NEW set of instructions on "How to Order the FSR Detector Plate Kits" for 2013?
Is it the same as the ordering process for 2012?

We are all almost out of time and will be needing ASAP shipping on the "Target Plates"!

Also, please check your email accounts that receive "Target Plate Orders" so that you can now fill the back orders!

Thanks!
Sorry Robot,

Will we order the target system directly from Trossen or will they be ordered the same way in 2012? Where will it be announced that it's time to order and how? Will it be on this thread?

DresnerRobotics
03-12-2013, 09:53 AM
They will be ordered from the site. I'm finishing up the product pages now, I'll swing back and let you guys know when you can order them.

bloftin
03-12-2013, 12:07 PM
If we have the scoring system from 2012, do we need to purchase this one also or is it backward compatable? Thank you.

giantflaw
03-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Since there no FSR panels available to purchase, do we wait for them to become available in the near future? Or should we order 16 FSR sensors now and make our own FSR ABS and lexan mounting boards?

Gertlex
03-12-2013, 12:53 PM
If we have the scoring system from 2012, do we need to purchase this one also or is it backward compatable? Thank you.

Product description says " All competitors are required to have a 2012 or newer " which is not a typo, as it has been stated as such several times. Yay saving money :D

DresnerRobotics
03-12-2013, 04:37 PM
I have to finish up some of the inventory stuff for the MW scoring gear on the back end, so they're not quite live yet (though you can see them on the site now with pricing). Something to note, shown is the actual retail pricing as opposed to the heavily discounted pricing I was doing when I was handling the manufacturing of these directly, so they are more expensive than previous years. This is simply standard retail pricing. I'm hoping that the Transponder set will go down in price once we aren't building them by hand in-house (which is what I had to do for this year, you guys owe me a beer). The Target Panels likely will not go down in price- The FSRs are $8 a piece retail and that adds up quick with 4 per panel.

I'll make an official announcement and thread with more info tomorrow.

bloftin
03-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Awesome! Thanks for getting these kits built. This might be a stupid question, but do we use the 1mW xbee with these kits or can/should we get the more powerful 60 mW.

Gertlex
03-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Awesome! Thanks for getting these kits built. This might be a stupid question, but do we use the 1mW xbee with these kits or can/should we get the more powerful 60 mW. 1 mW Series 1 xbees are what you want :)

KevinO
03-13-2013, 03:18 PM
I suppose you could use the 60mW if you wanted to control it from your hotel room.... :P <joking of course>

DresnerRobotics
03-13-2013, 03:43 PM
You can't actually use a 60w in the Transponder, they suck way too much juice and collide with the ID switch select.

DresnerRobotics
03-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Scoring systems are live on the website, ready for purchase. Found under this category:

https://www.trossenrobotics.com/Quadruped-Robot-Hexapod-Robot-Kits.aspx

jwatte
03-25-2013, 08:45 PM
I got mine today; looks solid! Now to carefully glue it all together. There isn't actually a wiring diagram anywhere I can find, though -- as in, which header goes to the LEDs; which digit corresponds to front/back/left/right; which header can I hook to my own controller to locally detect hits? Finally: I notice Upgrayd hasn't merged my fixes for the networking problems in the MWScore server yet. The way the networking code was written is inherently wrong, and will lose data, which is not something you want during competition! Because the protocol has to change (there needs to be a packet terminator/framing of some sort over TCP) it's important that we fix this sooner rather than later, so that everyone can prepare for the right protocol.

Gertlex
03-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Note that the files for this board, should you need them for reference in the future, are here: https://github.com/RyanLowerr/mwscore