PDA

View Full Version : I need your guys help!

tylerbourne
02-08-2012, 11:40 PM
I have really got myself into it this time. I have a research project in which I have bitten off perhaps more than I can chew. Any help you guys can offer me to get me going would be greatly appreciated. Here's what I'm looking at:

I have a movable platform which features a large diesel engine full of vibration and noise which needs to be able to detect obstacles as they are encountered and move an attached implement on one axis in relation to the distance reading.

Distances of importance would fall within the 1-2 foot range and the sensor would need to be rugged as it would be used outdoors in summer heat on a daily basis with several hours of operation daily.

The 12v battery and charging system is already present on the platform.

Due to my ignorance on the subject I'm sure I have left a lot of vital information out and I will be checking and adding often as I go along.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Tyler

DresnerRobotics
02-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Qualifying your questions by doing your own research and asking direct, targeted questions will go a long way towards getting a helpful response.

tylerbourne
02-10-2012, 07:45 AM
I guess I did not specify as to what I was exactly inquiring about. I'm looking to know what type of sensor you would recommend for my stated environment. It will be from in temperatures ranging 30-100F and will be subject to vibration and noise from being on the same platform as a large diesel engine and it will need to provide continuous feedback to the mechanized platform. It is a crucial part of a marketable product and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tyler

tylerbourne
02-13-2012, 04:59 PM
246 views and not one helpful word? I believe that this forum may be one of the least helpful I have ever joined....

parallax
02-13-2012, 05:31 PM
246 views and not one helpful word? I believe that this forum may be one of the least helpful I have ever joined....

THAT attitude *really* isn't going to get you anywhere. FYI 246 views isn't a large view count for threads on this forum.

I understand what you are going through~ being behind a deadline on something is never a good feeling, but getting upset with us is not the answer. Listen to what Tybs said. You did a great job of outlining the problem statement and the specifications for your project but you haven't shown that you have actually put any effort into answering your questions yourself. We're not going to do your research for you.

So, questions like "I've looked into X, Y, and Z sensors to do <whatever> but I don't understand what some of the differences are" or "I have this problem and I have tried X, Y, and Z to solve it. I need help" show that you've done work.

All in all, the answer is simple: do some independent research on what you are trying to accomplish, and then come back with your questions. There are plenty of people who will help you then.

This community is full of incredibly knowledgeable people who love what they do and love to help. What they won't do is do your homework for you.

Slugman
02-13-2012, 05:50 PM
From experience, people here are very helpful. They just might be as confused as I am as to what you need.
I can think of a few sensors that might be useful - Maxbotix sonar type stuff, but most of the sensors I have seen that operate in the range you are looking at have little warnings on them like "Not to be used for critical systems", & anything large & mobile tends to fit into that category.

I understand that due to your eventual intended use (Making money) you want to only give out the minimal info required so no-one pinches it, but more is always helpful.
- I just read the reply from parallax - OK, so maybe it's just me that's confused....... I return to a thread & look at it again if I see a new post, so it might be only 82 people who have taken an interest so far.

parallax
02-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Slugman is absolutely right. I tend to do the same thing with threads so certainly the view count could be inflated, and people may still be sorting out replies.

I apologize if I came across harshly earlier. I managed to get myself a little fired up.

tylerbourne
02-14-2012, 09:21 AM
Alright here's an update on the progress. So far I have looked into as many sensors as I could find including: Photoelectric, Infrared, Ultrasonic, Lasers using phase shift and triangulation methods, and a touch bar switch type setup. I am currently leaning towards the laser or the touch bar setup due to their durability, lack of interference from vibration and noise, and their ability to operate in outdoor sunlight. If anyone has any experience with using laser rangefinder with analog output in an outdoor setting I would like to hear about it. I will keep you all updated on my progress pictorially and textually.

DresnerRobotics
02-14-2012, 01:12 PM
It's also entirely possible that 246 people saw this and didn't want to do someone's research for them on a 'marketable product'.

Also, you got an initial response from me which was indeed helpful.

Nobody in this thread aside from the OP should be making any apologies.

MadLabs_Jason
02-14-2012, 01:24 PM
hello,

i have a question that could greatly affect your answer.
at what speed would this vehicle be traveling? most of your common range detection methods are only useable at low speeds because once you start traveling to fast you are moving farther then they can read in one of their pulses.

another good question and observation. will the obstacles be on a known path, and thus you have to just detect them in your way? or will it need to find these obstacles? this also plays in to your selection as some methods are better suited for each scenario.

what is your budget? i could list off several pricey high end solutions im sure would work, but who knows if they are even in your budget.

what do you have that is going to handle the processing of all this? some solutions may be to robust for your platform to handle.

on a side note. i apologize for the lack of capatalization and proper punctuation, aparently the forums do not like my phones way of handling shift.

hope to hear back soon.
jason