PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Forum Search Problems

sarendt
05-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Has anyone else noticed a problem with the search? I have been working on hooking up a I2C sensor to my Arbotix and I know this is the best place to look for all things Arbotix... I tried the search and didn't find anything so I assumed there wasn't anything to be found. A few days later I used google and noticed a trossen link showed up so I clicked on it. There it was, clearly in the subject line "I2C" ... http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?4781-I2C-Header

Even worse was below it were "similar" posts that also clearly have "I2C" in the subject line...

Am I miss understanding how search works, or miss using it?

Thanks!

Scott

tician
05-11-2012, 12:58 AM
It seems to not like any search term less than 4 characters in length. Could not find 'kit' or 'bot', but could find 'kitt' and 'obot'.

Th232
05-11-2012, 04:08 AM
From what I've seen on vBulletin forums the minimum string length you can search for can be varied somewhere in the back end. With that said, my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that vBulletin's search engine uses an OR operator between each term and doesn't have the ability to search for phrases. E.g. search for 'bolt', 'power', 'bolt power', 'bolt AND power' and '"bolt power"' and see how many results you get each time. Make from that what you will. I personally just do a site specific google search, and I've seen some forums have the option to do such. Dunno how much effort it takes to implement it though.

Baylink
11-18-2013, 11:10 PM
It appears to me that neither quick search nor advance search

a) understand quotation marks, nor
b) default to an AND search...

which makes both of them pretty useless for actual, y'know, searching. :-)

I don't know if there are knobs that can be twisted on vBulletin, but nothing makes a search -- or the thing it searches -- useless faster than those two failings... so I hope that 1) there are, and 2) someone will.