PDA

View Full Version : no CM-510 love?

Lupulus
05-19-2012, 11:49 AM
I was wondering, does anybody use a CM-510 (the controller from Bioloid Premium) for mech warfare? If not, why not?

I just got my started with robotics with a Bioloid Premium kit. So far, having a great time building the example bots and noodling with the roboplus software. Eventually, I'd like build a custom quad mech using mostly parts from the kit, and I'm thinking about control options...Arbotix seems to be a really nice solution, and I might end up using that so I can learn arduino. However, just using the CM-510 controller seems to have advantages:

--Graphical programming in roboplus is fairly quick and easy (especially for a newbie like me)
--Making gaits in roboplus motion is also fairly painless (though not as nice as NUKE IK probably!)
--Could control a gun or two with simple MOSFET circuits plugging into the 5-pin ports
--I already have a CM-510 :p

Any thoughts or warnings? Thanks!

DresnerRobotics
05-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Biggest reason I don't use them for most projects is the lack of real coding environment and a digital-button-only controller. I use them for my kung fu fighters though.

Lupulus
05-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks! I hadn't really thought of the digital-button-only issue. I can imagine something like a PS2 dual-shock with analog sticks would be much nicer than the bioloid RC-100 to do turret rotation etc.

thinking about Roboplus vs. learning "real" programming for arbotix...would love to learn the programming, need to decide how much time i can really spend! :)