PDA

View Full Version : Series Elastic Actuators

hash79
05-25-2012, 12:48 AM
I have been reading about SEA's the last few days, just wondering if anyone here has used or designed/built one? Seems like data other than peoples thesis is hard to come by. Should I be searching under a different term than series elastic actuator?

-Hash

hash79
06-03-2012, 12:55 PM
So I couldn't really find much other than PhD papers... So I decided to make one, check out my blog post if you are interested. Pretty cool devices, and not that hard to rough something up!

Random Workshop Post (http://www.random-workshop.blogspot.com/2012/06/10-series-elastic-actuator-series.html)

-Hash

Fanatic
06-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Hey very cool, might have to try making one myself. Was thinking of a way to control servos relative to pressure/force on it. Only idea I had was to measure the servos' current but that doesn't give me direction of force.

Thanks for your researching!

hash79
06-18-2012, 04:53 PM
I was amazed how well it actually worked considering the parts I used were very inexpensive. The servo-saver makes the whole thing pretty easy, and if you wanted to I'm sure you could experiment with different springs to have a more sensitive device. I found once I added the white lever the device had a nice holding force but gave in once I put some pressure on it.

If you make one and run into any problems let me know, I had fun working on it and wouldn't mind duplicating your setup to assist.

-Hash