PDA

View Full Version : [Project] Automatic flying inventory droid

jnetwork
06-12-2012, 01:59 AM
Hi All,

My second project is up for fundraising session :
http://www.indiegogo.com/sparrowdrone?a=667285&i=wdgi

This is a flying inventory drone for big warehouses.
It will be flyable trough the web aswell (Get your own testdrive by investing)

Let me know what you think of the idea - and if you like it please help me make it real. :)

jwatte
06-12-2012, 07:45 PM
GPS is not generally reliable for indoors navigation. There are much better indoors positioning systems, especially if you are in a known area (can place beacons, etc.)
What I don't understand from your fundraising pitch is what the point is. Are you trying to out-compete other solutions? If so, what's your market strategy? How will this be better than existing (rolling) solutions?

jnetwork
06-13-2012, 12:49 AM
Hi and thank you for reading my pitch and giving me some input.
I have always been interested in logistics/warehousing innovations as it my jack of trade so to speak, that is why i got this idea.
Yes i agree that indoors beacons would be fine, i guess the zigbee network device could do the trick with triangulating the device and setting new coordinates etc.
I hope to get funded so i can try out my idea. This idea will not be commercial and all my plans/how-to's will be released to the robotics public.

So, in my pitch there is no commercial values/plans as i have no intentions for that - i just want to innovate and learn.
If you have any suggestions/critique feel free to let me know, do i have a plausible project at my hands in your opinion?

Suicidal.Banana
06-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Im sorry to say thats supposed to come out of your own wallet.

The idea of indiegogo & kickstarter is (usually) projects that will make the 'backers' money, if you start saying you dont have any commercial plans or values, you wont get much.

You should prolly think about it some more, make a working (downscaled perhaps) prototype, and then you can get funding to improve upon that.

But yea, with me being a total robot noob, even i can already tell you that (like above) gps will be a no-go, yes there are gps modules out there that have like a 10cm or smaller 'lock-on'but they're insanely expensive, and bulky.

Which brings me to the next problem, how much weight do you think a quadcopter can carry? im guessing its capped at maybe 15kg max? assuming a quadcoptor the size of the picture. The thing is, thats prolly not enough for any task somebody would need outside help with, sure it could be cute to grab u a bunch of tools or maybe even a car wheel, but im feeling like it ends there. And well, in most factorys/warehouses, tools are right next to the workbench they belong too.

Heres an example of what your up against, no it doesnt fly, but everything else seems to work very well, and it carrys a hefty 1360kg! (3000 pounds) also note the date on this video, tech has progressed since.

http://youtu.be/Fr6Rco5A9SM

jwatte
06-13-2012, 01:23 PM
If the goal is for you to learn something, they I agree, nobody will give you money so you can learn.
Kickstarter typically works when you have a particular project to bring value to the world, and a lot of people agree that the world needs whatever value you're creating.

Put another way: The project must make sense to the random person on the internet who reads the page. There must be a reason why *they* want to *give you money*.