PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] What to use to make an assembly rotate and stop in 3 pre-set positions

sully36
06-22-2012, 06:56 PM
I am very new here and very new to this type of electrical work. I am not sure this is even the correct forum but figured I'd give it a shot. So my plan is to build an in dash "radio" for my car. It will actually be an Edge Insight Gauge panel on one side, a GPS on another, and a black face plate on the last side. I want it to be able to rotate inside the housing so I need sometype of motor, servo, or actuator that would be capable of that. Picture a triangle rotating on a center axis. All of this would be on a 12V automotive system. My preferences for the controller would be standalone at least after programming if that is even needed. I would want it to revert to the blank screen when power is lost or a signal switch is triggered(such as when the key is turned off) and possibly revert to the gauge panel when the key is turned to the accessory position. I would like to use three (or two) seperate trigger switches to trigger the 3 positions I would like it to stop in. (Bulgin Vandal Style possibly) So bassically when I push the button for the corresponding position, the screen rotates to that position with nothing more than the push of a single button. Any ideas what type of motor, controller, and setup I should use and how I would go about wiring/programing it.

jwatte
06-22-2012, 11:42 PM
I would recommend a simple stepper motor and stepper driver to drive it. You can wire that up with an Arduino pretty easily.
The mechanics of what you're suggesting may not work out. A rotating triangle (or any other polygon...) needs more space inside the dash than it displays as a face plate.

sully36
06-24-2012, 03:59 PM
I should be able to make a little bezel around the face so that the actually assembly would have enough room but the face would still look "flush"

Thanks for the reply though. I'm guess programming would need to go into that but would it come with simple enough diagrams that I would be able to tell what pins to use for everything.

jwatte
06-25-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm guess programming would need to go into that but would it come with simple enough diagrams that I would be able to tell what pins to use for everything.

The Arduino or Motor shield do not come with wiring instructions, but there are lots of tutorials on the Arduino.cc web site. You could go there and have a look before you buy anything.

sully36
06-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Is there anyway to make this work with a servo motor?

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5189-Dual-Linear-Actuator-Controller.aspx

jwatte
06-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Doesn't look like it to me, but I haven't used one of those.

If you want an easy way to control the position of the carousel, then you could buy one of the Dynamixel servos that can do 360 degree rotation. Then you just need to tell the servo controller to go to position X (0 degrees, 120 degrees, or 240 degrees) and it does the rest.
Regular hobby servos probably won't work, because they have a "hard stop" at each end, and they usually only do 180 degrees.