PDA

View Full Version : Kinect+PC performance thread

tician
08-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Not to completely derail this thread, but the RVIZ differences you see are probably more a factor of the graphics card (as rviz is based on OGRE, which uses hardware acceleration, and most netbooks have really, really cruddy graphics cards forcing the processing to fall back on the even slower Atom processor).

-Fergs
Not wanting to add further to the derailment of that thread, a new one. Feel free to add more stats for future reference/comparison.

The rviz frame rates I used in that last post were guestimates based on my qualitative comparison of rviz image rendering performance.

The netbook uses an AMD C-60 APU with Radeon HD 6290 graphics (4GB RAM with ~512MB dedicated to graphics) and is roughly equivalent to fit-pc3-Basic with the G-T40N having the same specs as either the C-50 or C-60.
The home pc uses an AMD E-350 APU with Radeon HD 6310 graphics (8GB RAM with ~2GB dedicated to graphics) and is roughly equivalent to the fit-pc3-Pro with the G-T56N having the same specs as either the E-350 or E-450.
The laptop uses an Intel Core i5-2520M with integrated HD Graphics 3000 (8GB RAM).
The newest pc in the lab uses an Intel Xeon W3550 with an NVIDIA Quadro 4000 (12GB RAM). I have not attempted a wubi install and probably won't (Windows may be the better choice for this situation - non-robotics related), but it would be nice to get another performance reference.

C-60 netbook: "rostopic hz /camera/depth/points" produces about 30[Hz] and "rostopic hz /camera/depth_registered/points" produces about 5~6[Hz].
Core i5 laptop: "rostopic hz /camera/depth/points" produces about 30[Hz] and "rostopic hz /camera/depth_registered/points" produces about 29[Hz] (even with rviz running).
E-350 pc: "rostopic hz /camera/depth/points" produces about TBD[Hz] and "rostopic hz /camera/depth_registered/points" produces about TBD[Hz].

Note: The C-60 netbook is running Xubuntu-11.10-AMD64 and the Core i5 laptop is running Xununtu-12.04-AMD64 with wubi. Both are running ros fuerte last updated 7/29.

tician
12-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Itty-bitty update since I finally brought home the kinect off Darsha to try and actually have done something productive this week. The E-350 pc is running mythbuntu-11.10-AMD64 with groovy (first time turned on in over two months).

E-350 pc (USB3 port - on-board, but don't think it is native to APU): "rostopic hz /camera/depth/points" produces about 30[Hz] and "rostopic hz /camera/depth_registered/points" produces 8.9~9.5[Hz] (slight difference may have been due to handbrake being open in the background, but not running - will check again after finishes Army of Darkness for my netbook).

E-350 pc (USB2 port): "rostopic hz /camera/depth/points" produces about 30[Hz] and "rostopic hz /camera/depth_registered/points" produces ~10[Hz] (had problems getting it to work with USB2 - two of four ports did not want to produce any new messages even though the device was identified fine by openni_launch).

Still have not gotten around to testing the newest pc with the Xeon CPU and Quadro 4000 GPU.