PDA

View Full Version : Mech Warfare at Sea

ArduTank
08-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Surely some of the mech games had water units! I wonder if it would be possible to do a version of Mech Warfare for water "units".

jwatte
08-18-2012, 09:18 PM
That exists. They had "naval" boat battles at Maker Faire.
The ships are built out of Balsa wood, and the cannons fire steel balls, and actually punch holes in the enemy ships.
The electronics are all coated so they withstand immersion.

ArduTank
08-19-2012, 08:47 PM
What I mean is not the boats themselves shooting, but the mech being on top of the boat shooting. A lander at sea for example. The boats would be piloted, of couse, but the mechs would have the guns and scoring plates. It would add a level of challenge and open up event location possibilities.

sthmck
08-20-2012, 06:12 PM
You planning on supplying a tank and storing it? Logistically speaking MW at sea would a nightmare.

jwatte
08-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Logistically speaking MW at sea would a nightmare.

San Mateo Fairgrounds has a small pool, which was used for the naval battles.
But I think the intersection between boat builders AND mech builders would be ... small.

Th232
08-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Logistics aside, I'd prefer to keep my robots away from water if possible. For a purpose designed boat at least there's a good chance of waterproofing things, but with a legged robot standing on a boat (in particular, with the servos exposed), I'd rather not chance it.

ArduTank
08-21-2012, 02:53 PM
You don't absolutely need a tank. All you need to run it on would be a pond, resivoir,etc, with some float lines to cordone off the area of the arena in the water. And bots don't get splashed if you build the boat with stability and payload in mind, and you can put some short(1"-2") edges on the main deck so the mech doesn't step over. I built a boat that could be scaled to fit the size of a bot's base(distance between feet) that holds a minimum of 10 pounds while needing to be scaled up to hold a quad.

ArduTank
08-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Main Idea of this is, it would be a good idea to have more locations for Mech Warfare. Like with me, I'm hesitant to go because of the cost, and mainly, the closest location is West Virginia.

Gertlex
08-21-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm sure people would appreciate all the BB's we'd dump in the water...

You also need to protect viewers. And viewers like to be close by so they can actually see... so you can't just put the boats or whatever way off shore.

Mechs can easily get pushed and tipped over a 1-2" edge, too. And is this one boat or multiple boats? How is transporting these boats cost effective, either?

ArduTank
08-23-2012, 05:49 AM
Main Idea of this is, it would be a good idea to have more locations for Mech Warfare. Like with me, I'm hesitant to go because of the cost, and mainly, the closest location is West Virginia.

This is the ONLY reason I posted this thread. I was giving an Idea that would open up locations for the event. If the event was in more places, you'd probably get more participation.

P.S. It was multiple boats.

Th232
08-23-2012, 06:28 AM
So... if you just posted the thread because you wanted more locations, why did you post about water units? What's wrong with doing it on land in somewhere like West Virginia?

darkback2
08-23-2012, 12:24 PM
This is the ONLY reason I posted this thread. I was giving an Idea that would open up locations for the event. If the event was in more places, you'd probably get more participation.

P.S. It was multiple boats.

Hey ArduTank,

I think there are several problems with the idea of opening up more locations, but tha asside, I don't think the number of locations presents a real barrier to participation. Unfortunately not everyone can build a mech, and building a mech isn't as easy as sticking a couple of airsoft guns on an existing robot. Building a mech that will actually work involves building a robot with purpose, and not everyone can set asside ~$1000 in robot parts to build a robot that is barely capable of being competative, regardless of where the competition is held.

That said, anywhere you have two mechs and a relatively safe space you can battle it out. I had a match with my wife in our driveway. Micheal Overstreet runs an event at the KC makerfaire. Heck, they even did somethint similar in japan. If you are a member of a hacker/maker space or robotics club, and you have a number of people who want to build mechs then by all means have a blast.

Check with Andrew though, cause I'm not sure you can call it mech warfare...and for your own liability I probably wouldn't have this be something that is open to the public.

DB

ArduTank
08-23-2012, 03:25 PM
DB, when I say open more locations, I mean have more events. The ONLY reason I don't have a mech built already is because of the locations cause me to not be able to guarantee it's worth it. And I'm sure there are more that didn't compete because of this.

Gertlex
08-23-2012, 10:37 PM
If you mean more events, then you're not making sense. How would two events at San Mateo benefit most people? You *do* mean more locations.

But consider that the locations in the last year were nice and spread out: Chicago, San Mateo, Kansas City, and West Virginia. Only one and a half of those locations had enough people, from what I hear.

And there's nothing wrong with building a mech over the course to two years, waiting until its convenient to compete. I (and I doubt I'm alone) was mainly driven to have a functional bot, more than I was to make it to a competition. My sense of worth it in building the bot is the bot itself. Competing is a bonus for me.