PDA

View Full Version : Is there a USB SIRFstar V receiver on the market?

jwatte
09-15-2012, 07:04 PM
I'm looking to upgrade my BU-353 SIRFstar III based USB GPS receiver "puck." I'm using gpsd on Linux, reading NMEA data.

Looking around, there's the BU-353-S4 which uses SIRFstar IV. There's also another chipset called SkyTraq Venus available in a USB stick (GT-730FL-S).
But, looking at the GPS world, it seems the new hotness since late last year is the SIRFstar V, which apparently solves the "urban canyon" reflection problem, and is sensitive enough to keep a lock in the basement of a nuclear fallout shelter -- if the marketing is to be believed :-)

I'm actually even more interested in very accurate position (DGPS performance) than I am in super sensitivity, but I'll take what I can get.

So, is this current hotness available on the market? Or should I go for something else, like a Ublox-6 or Trimble C1216 or something? (I can hook up using I2C or SPI, if I have to, but USB is more convenient.)

jwatte
02-18-2013, 09:29 PM
<crickets> :-)

OK, so I ended up getting a ublox 6 based TTL serial device, and do the USB through an Atmega. Not perfect, but better. And at $40, not too hard on the wallet.