PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone actually use Bluetooth with their Phones?

ChipperJones
09-19-2012, 04:47 PM
A long time ago i came to the realization that bluetooth is pretty wortheless for file transfers and things of the like. When i learned the protocol found a nice home with voice transfer i thought to myself, "good for you bluetooth, good for you". A few days ago i was introduced to a bluetooth headset. While utter disgust in bt had me reluctant i tried the headset out with my iphone. I used the Plantronics M155 headset (http://www.wirelessground.com/plantronics-m155-bluetooth-headset-black.html) as my coworker told me i need to "experience my phone life handsfree". Hes the kind of ass hat that walks around with the thing in his ear 24/7. But i washed out the ear gel and stuffed it in my ear, the pairing, was super easy and the connection was very clear, and then it dawned on me that all phones should be made this way....hands free connection to the phone is amazing! The headset was also optimized for iOS which made it pairing and using a lot easier than other option from what i understand....so my question to you all, is do you use bluetooth headsets? I would love to hear the good, the bad and the ugly in regard to your experience with bt headsets...

Gertlex
09-19-2012, 11:01 PM
I once had some knave try to connect to my computer with their phone repeatedly. I then accepted and yanked the pics off their phone. So yes. Useful. Epic pics of an aluminum-foiled dorm room were had. :D

More seriously... I use Bluetooth headphones that I've modified to plug into my hearing aids (nothing too complex, but it impresses people). Best quality music and phone calls I have are via bluetooth (well, technically via the direct audio input on the hearing aids).

I'm not sure there's such a thing as being designed for pairing with iOS devices. What my headset does (only one I've used, granted), is it will autoconnect to the last device it connected to if you press a button. Alas, connecting is slightly more tedious when switching between computer and mp3 player/iPod.

That said, Apple is not how it should be done. At least earlier on, anyways. My 2nd gen iPod touch works with Bluetooth, but the iOS (or is it hardware specific?) Bluetooth stack doesn't support forward/backward skipping of tracks... aka Apple implemented a broken A2DP Bluetooth profile. *grumble*

Finally, I've used a Bluetooth Serial Adapter successfully, but it's not nearly as painless as using xBees is.

jwatte
09-19-2012, 11:48 PM
Pretty sure this is store spam for the awful "wirelessground" website. Bluetooth headsets have been around for ten years, and were the reason the protocol was invented. The spam is just uses ever so slightly better grammar than your regular Chinese Mechanical Turk astro-turfers.