PDA

View Full Version : Hobby Servos: Disappointment strikes

jwatte
10-20-2012, 12:34 AM
I (http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d772.html) had this whole thread about how my $15 digital Chinese hobby servo was twittery, and how I had looked on a logic analyzer to see that the signal was sound.
Then, right after posting, I actually caught the signal being unexpected, pointing to a possible bug in my controller code after all. So, rather than keep complaining about cheap junk, I'll go complain a little more at my compiler, and see if I can come to a solid conclusion, one way or the other...

jwatte
10-20-2012, 01:24 AM
OK, Mea Culpa. Although I was feeding the servos from a nice, beefy bench power supply, it was through the Vin pin of an Arduino board. Apparently, doing that caused occasional resets of the board (note: I was feeding power into the Ardy and then out from the Vin pin, so not through the 5V regulator.)
Perhaps the Arduino regulator is not sufficiently VLDO so it's only marginal at 6V in?
Making straight connections to the servo from power made the problem go away. So, no bug in my code, no bug (so far) in the servo, but a bug in my wiring instead :-)