PDA

View Full Version : [Interesting] Ban 'killer robots,' Human Rights Watch urges

Ron
11-19-2012, 06:47 PM
I was driving earlier listening to the news on the radio and I hear "human rights group wants to ban killer robots" They than began to say that in the near future there will be robots that can kill humans autonomously. I found an article about it Here. (http://www.nanowerk.com/news2/robotics/newsid=27532.php)
On the radio they said this could be a reality in as little as 30 years, I think its a lot closer than that.

Slugman
11-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Eh? They can do it now. The sentry gun in the article you linked to can do it. All they need to do is remove the human in the loop. The only reason stopping some despot doing it apart from the cost, is the safety of their own troops if they accidentally walk into the line of fire.
I suspect the 30 year timeframe might be a forward projection of the incremental changes in Western society, that might see the above being accepted by the general populace enough for governments to actually do it. That's a different issue entirely to the one of creating a robot being physically capable of doing it.

Ron
11-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Agreed the technology is here now. I especially like the bi-ped soliders that you see in the DARPA videos reminds me of Skynet :robotsurprised: .

Upgrayd
11-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Guess they never heard of the hellfire missle equiped drones we have flying all over the world.

jwatte
11-20-2012, 10:25 AM
hellfire missle equiped drones

Those have a human in the loop. The proposed self-imposed ban would be against autonomous engagement.

The question then becomes what "autonomous" means. Would triggered mines count? If not, would mines with IFF count? If not, what level of "smarts" is needed to count as "autonomous"? I'd argue that mines with IFF are better than dumb mines, if you have to use mines at all (which is another question entirely.)