PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Arbotix Programming- avrdude: stk500_getsync() error

Nitro
12-11-2012, 02:10 AM
Hey Everyone,
I am new to these forums, and am having some issues with my Quadruped. I recently received put it together and was messing around with the control boards and experimenting like any one who gets a new toy does. After messing around and getting the Quadruped built, I wanted to load the default firmware onto both the Controller and the Arbotix control board. The controller loaded fine, and the Arbotix board loaded, except that after the IDE said finished uploading, this was the message that I saw:

Binary sketch size: 14,580 bytes (of a 65,536 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I am currently unable to control my Quad like I am assuming that I will be able to do with the default code loaded onto the boards. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DresnerRobotics
12-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Do you have the correct board selected?

The Commander comes preloaded Fyi, only need to program the Arbotix. I assume you're using the FTDI module for programming the Arbotix?

We need some more info here to help you.

Nitro
12-11-2012, 11:53 AM
I selected the Arbotix Board in the IDE, and am using the FTDI cable to program it. When I loaded the default Nuke Sketch that I downloaded from the web site, I had the Arbotix jumper set to FTDI power during programming, and then put the jumper back to Vin. I was also told that the Quadruped should stand up when it is powered on, and it does not. However, if I hold the bot up with it's legs extended and then power it on, the servos will maintain their positions, so I am confident that they are receiving power from the board.

DresnerRobotics
12-11-2012, 01:04 PM
If it's getting that error after compiling then it's not uploading the program, which in turn means it will not move to position upon start-up.

Could you shoot a picture of your FTDI setup/cable orientation? Confirm that you have the correct COM port selected?

KurtEck
12-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Also I wonder if you have the XBee plugged into the Arbotix board. I usually don't have any luck with the FTDI cable if XBee is installed as they are trying to use the same IO pins...

Also I have always had the best luck programming with my AVRISP, but you need to make sure the right stuff is selected.

Kurt