PDA

View Full Version : 3D Model of the PhantomX Reactor Arm

nckswt
12-21-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm trying to model a robot for a final-year engineering project, and we'd like to use the PhantomX Reactor Arm, but I can't find any 3D models of the arm or any of its components. We need to have a 3D model for our report - anyone know if I've just been looking in all the wrong places?

Thanks!

Gertlex
12-21-2012, 09:33 PM
I've generally not seen Trossen release CAD models for their products. Not sure if this is due to lack of public interest, or if they prefer to keep the original designs non-public.

If you get the arm, it shouldn't be more than a day to reproduce it in CAD. (The servos have CAD models available, which is 95% of the complexity, I think)

darkback2
12-22-2012, 10:35 AM
My students made a version of the phantomX arm based on the pictures off of the internet...They later learned that the phantom X arm is a few centemeters longer, but the arm they made seams to work just fine. I think there is enough information out there to make a pretty reasonable copy if you need...otherwise I would suggest buying the arm and working backwards from there.

jwatte
12-22-2012, 04:11 PM
3D scanning. (It will be to 3D printing what a CD ripper is to MP3 encoding ;-)

DresnerRobotics
12-29-2012, 03:50 PM
My students made a version of the phantomX arm based on the pictures off of the internet...They later learned that the phantom X arm is a few centemeters longer, but the arm they made seams to work just fine. I think there is enough information out there to make a pretty reasonable copy if you need...otherwise I would suggest buying the arm and working backwards from there.

Enjoy your pending lawsuit, Che. You son of a bitch.

Re topic of this thread: We've been tossing around the idea for awhile now, what we may end up doing is releasing simpler solid-piece models of the arms and crawlers. The actual production models are unnecessarily complex and hard to export in a fashion that retains all of the constraints. For use in simulation, simpler solid-piece models (of each main segment) would be much easier for people to use.

darkback2
12-31-2012, 04:49 PM
You'll have to go after Ballerat14 for that one...The arm was his semester project. Got it done a month early too! One thing though, we might add a spring counter weight to counteract the weight of the arm. Using aluminum instead of plastic makes the arm heavier than it should be.

DB