PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] FAQ for troubleshooting

ekmann
12-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Hi -

Before I start peppering the forum with my ignorance, is there an existing doc on how to troubleshoot robot designs? I'm specifically interested in a troubleshooting guide aimed at the PhantomX AX-12 Hexapod kit I put together for xmas. I turn it on - red LEDs flash on all of the servos, ON led lights up, and the USER LED on the Arbotix board blinks three times. But that's it.

Before I start reprogramming it from the web with new NUKE files, updated Commander firmware, etc as well as pull out my DMMs and pocket oscopes ... I was hoping others had these bringup issues and I can just read the prior replies. I'm comfortable getting trouble shooting guides for the various components as well rather than specifically for one kit ...

Worst comes to worst, I read the default fw code loaded on the Arbotix controller and see what the three blinks mean ... if I could figure out where it lives exactly ...

Guidance welcomed.
ekm

darkback2
12-27-2012, 11:00 PM
OK... Did you upload any code to the arbotix to begin with? If not then you probably need to upload a nuke sketch for your robot as often times the arbotix ships without any software installed on it even though the directions may say it ships with a sketch on it already.

Hope this helps.

DB

darkback2
12-27-2012, 11:02 PM
You can download the default arbotix sketch from the product page.

tician
12-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Did you upload any sketches to the arbotix (https://code.google.com/p/arbotix/downloads/list)? I'm not sure they always come with anything preprogrammed, and there was a recent release that should have fixed a few somewhat common problems.

Odds are that you will not need to upload anything to the Commander, and the arbotix should always be checked first.

ekmann
12-27-2012, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the quick replies (they are all good suggestions) ... I take it "No Suzy, there isn't a FAQ". I haven't uploaded any files yet to the arbotix - I downloaded the Arduno IDE and compiled a few sketches, but before I start changing variables, I wanted to see if I could get the system to work "out of the box". (I just purchased the "Comprehensive" kit new mid-December from Trossen - the build went 'well' - but like Marvin the Martian, when I turned it on, I asked "Where or where is the earth shattering kaboom").

I'll download a sketch and reply back with my root cause when found.

lnxfergy
12-27-2012, 11:59 PM
The code examples (https://code.google.com/p/arbotix/wiki/CodeBook) page for the ArbotiX is about the closest thing to a "FAQ" for the ArbotiX. The blinks on the ArbotiX are likely the bootloader starting up and then kicking over to the program -- which might very well not be the hexapod firmware.

I don't believe such a page has been started for any of the Trossen kits.

-Fergs

ekmann
12-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Maybe this isn't so much an "FAQ" ... but an FYI to other 1st time builders ...the Trossen build instructions indicate to install the XBee (secured with an add-on bracket as well) as part of the build process. What they failed to mention is you cannot use the supplied UartSBee FTDI connection with the XBee modem installed - you have to remove the XBee 1st.

I suspected such after review of the Arbotix schematics. It was confirmed via the Arbotix GettingStarted wiki page (or a version of it - http://code.google.com/p/arbotix/source/browse/wiki/GettingSetup.wiki?r=636 ), the public page (http://code.google.com/p/arbotix/wiki/GettingSetup) is out of sync with svn. Not that I'm complaining - many thanks for the info!

ekmann
12-30-2012, 09:42 PM
err - I should have said an OLDER version of the GettingStarted page had the info I needed - just not the current version.

lnxfergy
12-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Oops -- I accidently lost that note when I updated the Getting Started for our Arduino 1.0-compatible release. I've just reverted that comment back onto the page -- thanks for catching that.

-Fergs

ekmann
12-31-2012, 09:53 PM
I have to say the documentation is pretty much shake-n-bake. Other than trimming with a hobby knife the cable holdbacks on the AX-12's b/c the Trossen supplied cables wouldn't fit, and temporarily removing the XBee to program the unit - the instructions between the Ardunio + Arbotix + Trossen manuals were complete.

#ifdef NOTHING_OF_THE_FOLLOWING_SHOULD_BE_CONSTRUED_AS_A_ COMPLAINT_ONLY_CONSTRUCTIVE_CRITICISM

The only gaps I have can be easily attributed OS-specific instructions - I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - e.g. the installation of the Arbotix zip file required a few intuitive leaps - for example:

a) the specific directory layout expected in the 'sketchbook' directory created by ardunio's IDE when executed. I'm a complete noob to Ardunio so I started off doing an apt-get install of the arduino package, then hacking the installed /usr/share directories. MISTAKE! I didn't realize arduino would pick up from the $HOME directory additional librariares/, hardware/, etc . I also ended up installing locally the arduino directory (1.0.3) in my home directory rather than use the dated Ubuntu (1.0.0) release.

b) installation of the X-CTU application (under linux/wine) to program the XBees. The Python-based serial programming links are all dead in the related documentation. I had to use the X-CTU app to program my Xbees.

#endif

Otherwise, IMO, the documentation is complete to an otherwise experienced software engineer.

ekm

lnxfergy
01-03-2013, 01:55 AM
The only gaps I have can be easily attributed OS-specific instructions - I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - e.g. the installation of the Arbotix zip file required a few intuitive leaps.

Yeah, I've tried not to recreate too much of the Arduino docs. Back when Arduino did a major re-org of their website, we lost a lot of links (hence, the single link to "arduino.cc" as "the docs"). If you have any specific arduino pages you think we should add links to from the Getting Started, please do tell.

b) installation of the X-CTU application (under linux/wine) to program the XBees. The Python-based serial programming links are all dead in the related documentation. I had to use the X-CTU app to program my Xbees.

Holy Reset Button Batman! I hadn't looked at those links in some time, they literally blew away the old SVN repo and have some new mercurial repo hosting what appears to be an *entirely different* project. I can't find anything in the current project that resembles the older code.... I dug up a copy of what I had, and posted a zipfile to the tutorial and updated the text to reflect that.

-Fergs

Kliment
03-07-2013, 06:57 AM
Hello everyone,
I have purchased PhantomX Hexapode, and I am following the documentation for installing Arduino IDE, and connecting Pypose program to it. https://code.google.com/p/arbotix/wiki/GettingSetup, this is the page I am following, but unfortunately, I am unable to choose the Arbotix board in the tools menu. Can someone give me a hint which files from Arbotix should I copy, and where to, in order to get the Arbotix board?
Regards,

tician
03-07-2013, 07:17 AM
Setup:
0) Download "arbotix-0015.zip"
1) Copy the folder "arbotix-0015/arbotix/hardware/arbotix" into the "Arduino/hardware/" folder (you should have "Arduino/hardware/arbotix/bootloaders", "Arduino/hardware/arbotix/core", etc.)
2) Copy the folders within "arbotix-0015/arbotix/libraries/" into your sketchbook library folder (usually something like "C:/users/myname/sketchbook/libraries")
3) Copy the remaining folders and files within "arbotix-0015/arbotix/" into the sketchbook folder ("C:/users/myname/sketchbook/Commander/Commander.ino", "C:users/myname/sketchbook/pypose/pypose.ino", etc.) If there are any other projects, like "Phantom_Phoenix", move them into the sketchbook folder.

The "arbotix-0015/pypose" folder can be placed anywhere you want. If python has been installed correctly, it should open a GUI. The pypose.ino sketch must be uploaded to the arbotix before pypose will work correctly.
After making changes to the folders, you must close out all instances of the Arduino IDE and restart the IDE before the changes will take effect.

hwan we
03-07-2013, 07:19 AM
Hello everyone,
I have purchased PhantomX Hexapode, and I am following the documentation for installing Arduino IDE, and connecting Pypose program to it. https://code.google.com/p/arbotix/wiki/GettingSetup, this is the page I am following, but unfortunately, I am unable to choose the Arbotix board in the tools menu. Can someone give me a hint which files from Arbotix should I copy, and where to, in order to get the Arbotix board?
Regards,

https://code.google.com/p/arbotix/downloads/detail?name=arbotix-0015.zip&can=2&q=

Down
inside the Arduino folder
and paste

Kliment
03-13-2013, 07:37 AM
Hello,
Now I think the problem was that I didn't and still don't have a Sketchbook folder, so any suggestions how can I find it, and can somebody please give me example codes for the PhanthomX, so I can test it's availability.

ekmann
03-14-2013, 12:40 AM
... for me, on linux, its in my home directory - e.g. ~/sketchbook. If I remember, I explicitly created it (I don't remember the install created it for me, nor the IDE).