PDA

View Full Version : target panel mounting question

byi
01-27-2013, 08:39 AM
right now im finallizing the turret design i will be sending to shapeways, and i just need something clarified. i will essentially have all of my panels mounted to my hopper, which will extend directly above my hopup. the gearbox would extend well behind the back panel. would this be legal, or would i need to place the back panel behind the gearbox somehow?

sorry if this should have gone in another thread. couldnt find one. :P

jwatte
01-27-2013, 01:25 PM
From what I understand:

If the gearbox acts as a "shield" for the panels, then that's not OK. If the gearbox is sufficiently below the panel such that there's typically a clear line of fire, then I think you're OK.

byi
01-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Its directly below it and extends several inches behind. Unless the other bot is below it and/or I tilt my turret te right way, the shielding wont be all that much. I'll try to minimize it though.

Upgrayd
01-28-2013, 09:41 AM
It would be best to post a picture or drawing of what you are describing. If you have any doubts you want to have it cleared up now.

byi
03-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Ended up having to scrap that design a couple weeks ago, and I haven't had time until now to redesign. I am thinking of mounting the turret inside a bracket to lower the torque the tilt servo by centering the COG. Sort of like this image:
http://www.filmwareproducts.com/CameraTurret/Images/PT30.jpg
Would I be allowed to mount the side panels on the outside bracket and the front/back panels on the turret itself?

Gertlex
03-03-2013, 12:34 PM
You might have an easier time with turret design by doing a four-bar linkage approach, e.g. illustrated for Numa in this post (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?4929-My-4DoF-Quad-Mech-Numa&p=50540#post50540).

byi
03-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Hmm. I am probably going to end up with a relatively heavy turret. Would that give me enough torque? How could I calculate that?

Gertlex
03-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Hand calculations of the statics would give you that sort of info. Basically you need to know the CoG and weight of the turret, and position things such that (horizontally) the CoG is closer to the non-actuated pivot point (e.g. the left point in that thread's image). I did not bother doing these calculations though, and had no problems with an AX-12 servo. In my case the gearing inside the servos provides almost enough resistance that the turret will hold position unpowered... so the load on the servo should be minimal.

byi
03-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Good to know. My current engineering knowledge is limited to high school and tinkering, but I'll give the calculations a try. Thanks for the rapid responses.

byi
03-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Center the mass over the pivot when it is aimed flat you mean?

Gertlex
03-03-2013, 02:20 PM
By horizontal, I meant ignoring the height of the COG. But yes, you would use the COG position when the turret is in its default position, which is probably with guns pointing straight ahead.

Height of the CoG matters, but not much, really.

byi
03-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Got it. Thanks.

byi
03-03-2013, 08:07 PM
I started looking at what that would entail... I don't have enough time to get something that complicated ready. I think I am going to have to go my original plan. So, still, would that be legal?

jwatte
03-04-2013, 11:23 AM
would that be legal?

If the target plates are unobstructed, and facing in the four cardinal directions, I think you're good. Pivoting with the gun is done on a bunch of mechs.

byi
03-04-2013, 12:22 PM
yes, but the targets will be tilting relative to each other. thats what worries me.

jwatte
03-04-2013, 02:06 PM
yes, but the targets will be tilting relative to each other. thats what worries me.

I want to say that there is another mech that does this, but I can't think of one right now. As long as the panels are unobstructed, I don't think you'll be in trouble, though.

byi
03-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Good to know. Thanks.

gdubb2
03-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Maggots target panels are mounted on top of the turret. What ever the turret does, they do, but are not obstructed, so the enemy has a clear shot at all times.:wink:

Gary

byi
03-05-2013, 07:01 PM
After several redesigns, I think I'm going witha generic box turret design, so that should be fairly unobstructed.