PDA

View Full Version : Pre-qualification + wifi setup

CogswellCogs
01-31-2013, 11:38 AM
Hello -

My quadruped, Boojum, is finally running. It walks, shoots, registers hits, and sends back video. I want to make many tweaks before RoboGames but the thing is basically operational. Is pre-qualification still an option ? Can I just post a short video of it walking, hitting targets, etc ?

The architecture is an on-board computer sending a video feed from USB cameras back to the operator via WiFi. As such, there are no IP cameras. I have everything running in infrastructure mode and use a wireless router to connect the operator laptop to the bot. Do I need to make any changes for the MechWarfare competition ? Can I use my wireless router to connect to the competition's access point ?

Thank you,
CogswellCogs

Upgrayd
01-31-2013, 01:27 PM
I do not believe that we have written any hard rules for the pre-qualification.

Ideally the video should show your robot walking around, shooting, transmitting video and wirelessly controlled uninterrupted for the length of a full match.

DresnerRobotics
01-31-2013, 04:00 PM
The architecture is an on-board computer sending a video feed from USB cameras back to the operator via WiFi. As such, there are no IP cameras. I have everything running in infrastructure mode and use a wireless router to connect the operator laptop to the bot. Do I need to make any changes for the MechWarfare competition ? Can I use my wireless router to connect to the competition's access point ?

Thank you,
CogswellCogs

Per the rules draft:

An industrial grade dual Wifi Access Point will be provided for competitor use. Using this access point is required of all competitors. All competitors will need to know their IP Camera information such as SSID, static IP address, and be able to make changes to their camera settings if required. NO wireless security is to be enabled. (We may require that all competitors pre-register their IP camera information or make specific settings to their camera. More information on this later)

Pre-qualification is an option, I'll be posting the final requirements for that very soon, but Upgrayd has the jist of it.

CogswellCogs
01-31-2013, 07:56 PM
Yes, thanks, I read that in the rules. Are you telling me that MUST use wireless IP cameras ? If not, I'm a little confused about how to configure things. Does the AP have a DNS service and an SSID that I'd simply join on both the bot and the operator console ? I appreciate any guidance.

jwatte
01-31-2013, 11:40 PM
Does the AP have a DNS service and an SSID that I'd simply join on both the bot and the operator console ?

This is what I have figured out, because I'm going to use a webcam-through-computer setup:

From what I understand, the AP will have a network name that you will be told at the time of the competition.

You will also be told whether to set up DHCP, or set up a static IP configuration.

As far as I can tell, there will not be any encryption -- no WEP or WPA.

You don't have to use a wireless IP camera specifically, but you cannot use an analog camera that works in the 2.4 GHz spectrum. A web camera that works through a computer with a WiFi adapter is OK, as long as that wifi adapter uses 802.11g and joins the network as specified.

You are not allowed to use 802.11n on the 2.4 GHz band, because that uses too much bandwidth and knocks out the 802.11g clients.

You are allowed to use low-power low-throughput 2.4 GHz devices for control, as long as they don't knock out the WiFi connection. For example, most people use Xbee for control. Theoretically, Bluetooth would be allowed, but people have reported poor results from that. Theoretically, Nordic Semi nRF24L01 based communication would also be allowed, as it's similar in concept to Xbees.

Gertlex
02-01-2013, 12:00 AM
I think the main point that you were confused on is

Can I use my wireless router to connect to the competition's access point ?
To which the answer is nay. Computer connects to router, robot connects to router, computer talks to your robot (to get vid stream) via your robot's IP address.

For testing at home, using your router is of course fine. Just be familiar enough with the network settings that you can easily set them on the bot and computer when you're at RG :)

CogswellCogs
02-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Thanks Jwatte and Gertlex. I think I understand now. The AP at RoboGames will simply take the place of my wireless router and I'll configure the bot and operator laptop to use it instead.

>> You are allowed to use low-power low-throughput 2.4 GHz devices for control
My control is over WiFi, too. Same channel as the video.

- CogswellCogs

jwatte
02-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Computers can be wired to the router, right?

Gertlex
02-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Ahh yes, we did plug in ethernet cables. Forgot that detail :)