PDA

View Full Version : [Just For Fun] Making the most of ~$2000

tician
02-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Here I find myself, at about hour 24 of a multiple fault diagnosis via genetic algorithm processing job*, sitting stir crazy in front of my computers having made it through only ~35/1023 symptom sets on each of the two processes running on my netbook (AMD C-60 + 4GB) and ~68/1023 symptom sets on each of the two processes running on my "big" pc (AMD E-350 + 8GB) wondering: "what would put me out of my misery and make this end sooner? 8 Zotac AD-12 each with 8GB RAM and 8GB USB3 thumbdrive, or 1+ bigger many-core machines?"

So fellow forum-ites, as a mental exercise, if you were given a budget of, say, ~$2000, what would you buy/build?

*yes, the paper was due tuesday; and no, I did not get the octave/matlab code working correctly until last night (gave up on my C/C++ code - I've been feeling this stupid lately (http://youtu.be/XTGmTrQXrwg)). Trying to make myself go into the lab and use some of the dual/quad core dells to start more processes to evaluate some of the other parameter sets I am supposed to compare/contrast, but no such luck yet. Wish the CS cluster had octave or matlab installed.

Th232
02-03-2013, 05:54 AM
A good LIDAR for the Mantis.

Then again, given what I've sunk into the Mantis maybe I should keep my mouth shut...

Gertlex
02-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Would that even be enough for me to get a copy of Solidworks that won't expire for a decade? :)

Slugman
02-03-2013, 04:15 PM
It would get me a set of upgraded leg servos.

jwatte
02-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud. You'd solve it all in less than an hour for less than $2k. I'm just sayin' :-)

tician
02-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud. You'd solve it all in less than an hour for less than $2k. I'm just sayin' :-)
<headdesk>

tician
02-03-2013, 08:42 PM
<HEADDESK>

I knew beforehand that I could cut out a lot of the fitness evaluations, but I didn't test as I did not think the comparison operation would work (each individual is an array). IT WORKS: adding a simple check to see if the current individual is the same as the last and not recalculating if they are the same (could make it more complex by checking all individuals whose fitness has been previously calculated and not change it from generation to generation).