PDA

View Full Version : Funding for Mech Warfare

lumpen5
02-05-2013, 11:04 AM
I was thinking several months ago about how costs could be defrayed for the setup and running of mechwarfare within the robogames. If I am not mistaken, Andrew and others pay out of pocket for their time, expertise and equipment (except for the crowd funding of the arena itself)

One idea I had was charging a premium for combatants to have their mech work areas closer to the arena. Either in the vestibule near where the Arena actually resides, or just beyond the room opening.

I don't want to start a sh*tstorm, or have the various Animal Farm references bandied about, because I know we all spend a lot of money just to get ourselves and our combat ready bots to the games.

I just want to put it out there, that I would be willing to pay to be closer to the action.

Thoughts?

jwatte
02-05-2013, 12:33 PM
have the various Animal Farm references bandied about

FWIW, the problem in Animal Farm was that everyone was *supposed* to be equal, but those who could affect the rules set the rules to benefit themselves.
In a market system, the conversion from money to influence is open, and is supposed to be that way, so Animal Farm references would probably be missing the mark :-)

Mech Warfare "premium sponsors" seems like a reasonable idea to me, if you get something for it, and I think your idea is a good "something" that has worked for other kinds of events.

Upgrayd
02-05-2013, 03:27 PM
The Robogames assigns the competitor's pit area. MechWarfare organizers have no influence over this.

Basically any group outside Combots just has to just work with whatever is given to them.