PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] What is the perfect equipments to make small plane with camera for tracking?

ESR
02-14-2013, 04:59 AM
Hi everybody,

I want to make small plane with camera for tracking people for example using object recognition using WiFi, I want from you to help me please.
I want that for graduation project, could you advise me about the suitable equipments and the whole cost of the project and the possibility of making this project, please?

*if you see this project hard to make, please give me your suggestion for alternatives.

jwatte
02-14-2013, 02:07 PM
This is a hard project, but can be done.

The library OpenCV has some object and facial recognition software you may be able to use.

The Quadcopter community has a number of FPV ("first person view") camera solutions that can attach to quadcopters or planes and transmit video. These do not use WiFi. WiFi will not have suitable range for this application.

If you want the plane to use autonomous control, you'll need an on-board computer of some sort. The ArduPilot might be a good first option, as it has some built-in sensors.

How much will it cost? I'd expect $700 on the very low end, $2000 for a solid project, and $5000 and up for something you'd want to show off to people doing the "real" drones that do this kind of stuff.

Btw: When you say "graduation," that's kind-of ambiguous. Some countries have events called "graduation" at ninth grade. Most have it as well in high school (about 12th grade.) And it comes again for undergrad studies -- two to four year colleges. Which level you're at may affect what a suitable alternative would be.

ESR
02-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks a lot dear,
I am 4th year of collage in computer engineering department, and I want something for graduation of BSc and I want something competitive to have a well project.
If you see that this project is hard and need much time, please suggest me an alternative that has a similar idea and has a low cost.

jwatte
02-15-2013, 04:23 PM
please suggest me an alternative that has a similar idea and has a low cost

Pick one:
- autonomous navigation (say, using an R/C car)
- autopilot flying (keeping course/heading using smart controllers)
- facial recognition from a webcam (say, to use at a door for an automatic doorlock -- beware people showing photographs to the camera, though :-)

The last is probably the cheapest, because the needed physical equipment is the least. Physical equipment costs money.