PDA

View Full Version : Kinect 2 or Capri 1.25

Gort
02-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Looks like the Capri 1.25 is small enough to fit on most robots!

It's performance is also a lot better than the Kinect 1!

I just hope it is under 200.00 USD.

http://mike-ibioloid.blogspot.com/2013/02/kinect-2-or-capri-125-as-humanoid.html

alonso
02-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Looks great! I can't wait for people to start playing with it.

lnxfergy
03-01-2013, 02:42 AM
Mike, I don't think those specs on your site (durango) are for the Capri 1.25 -- the dev board they had at CES had NO RGB. Overall, we were told the performance was nearly identical to the existing 1.08, but that the size was the main improvement, as well as possibly power draw (although the poor android tablet they had it hooked to looked like it was drawing the battery down quite fast).

-Fergs

Gort
03-01-2013, 09:28 AM
That is interesting news, Primesense designed both the Durango and the Capri 1.25? So that means they have two separate product lines? One for Microsoft and the other for themselves? Not having a RGB camera is a big mistake too.

I am wondering now did Microsoft develop the Kinect 2? It may only be a hardware upgrade and little else? That would mean that the Capri 1.25 is a inhouse development by Primesense to further their product?

I quess we will see when the products come out.

lnxfergy
03-01-2013, 01:42 PM
I think the split really is that they still have a console/PC version, and the Capri 1.25 is intended to be the "mobile" version -- they are very clearly targeting it at cell phone or tablet manufacturers from what I saw.

-Fergs

Gort
03-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Even if the Capri 1.25 does not have the specs of the Kinect 2, it still will be a huge improvement over the Kinect 1. My DARwIn-OP already has a RGB camera. I am thinking about the best place to mount the Capri now. I am thinking about modifying the front body cover and putting it there.

tician
03-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Even if the Capri 1.25 does not have the specs of the Kinect 2, it still will be a huge improvement over the Kinect 1. My DARwIn-OP already has a RGB camera. I am thinking about the best place to mount the Capri now. I am thinking about modifying the front body cover and putting it there.
Why not make a little hat/headband/visor (I have visions of a DARwIn-OP in a mini-tuxedo wearing a capri equipped top hat - I'm weird)? Since you have a 3d printer, you could even make an extended forehead to replace the default face while not losing the webcam (kind of like the Nao head with the planar laser scanner).

Too bad none of it would be permitted in robocup humanoid soccer league, being an active sensor.

Gort
03-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the idea! I will post more once the mock-up is done. I would use it for autonomous events at robogames.

Gort
03-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Here is my first idea. I would mount the sensor on the helmet.

http://mike-ibioloid.blogspot.com/2013/03/japanese-kabuta-helmet-for-my-darwin-op.html

tician
03-07-2013, 05:17 PM
We just got a Creative Interactive Gesture Camera in the lab a couple days ago (only got back to the lab to play with it today - friggin' midterms), and with a little bit of modification to the camera and/or DARwIn-OP head frames, it should be able to fit in roughly the same dimensions as the original head. Left as-is, it even looks like a great (non-uncanny valley) robot face with two eyes and two wide-set ears. Awesome close-in detail - could easily see the 1/8" stem of a plastic orchid from 2~3 inches away and even some of the texture of the "soil" in its pot, but max distance is a bit limited. I think it is about time I finally invested in a USB logic analyzer, since the drivers/sdk are only for Windows 7+ on Intel-hardware (the original manufacturer (http://www.softkinetic.com/en-us/solutions/depthsensecameras.aspx) product page lists a linux api, but it is not available until at least april).