PDA

View Full Version : PhantomX Reactor Robot Arm IK - NUKE or ROS? (help for disabled people)

dburongarcia
02-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Hi everyone, I have a PhantomX Reactor arm and I'm using it as a helping aid for people with cerebral palsy. The idea is to help them eat and move the different joysticks and buttons of a powered wheelchair. I've no problems with the eating system, I've been tinkering with Pypose using different poses and sequences, calling them through serial port using Processing GUI buttons.

But the problem comes from moving the wheelchair joystick. I've set poses to press the buttons but for the joystick I need a proportional movement and I need IK in a plane (with or without wrist rotation, I could solve it without it) and I've been trying NUKE, but I'm not very sure how to use it for this purpose.

I've seen also some people using ROS, but I need the ability to use poses and sequences generated by Pypose and calling them through serial (as well as the joystick movement) using a GUI and not just a direct controller like a mouse or joystick (having both systems would be great).

I could try to write my own IK code but I'm sure there is a way to use directly the incredible potential of the NUKE, Dynamixel and ArbotiX. Any help? Thank you very much

jwatte
02-27-2013, 12:45 AM
Wouldn't it be better to interface directly from the controller to the system the joystick is controlling? Going through actual physical motion seems in some sense perverse!
At a minimum, could you measyre the joystick, and drive a digital potentiometer to emulate it?

dburongarcia
02-27-2013, 03:35 AM
The problem is that powered wheelchairs use propietary joysticks and microcontrollers incredibly expensive (just the controller could cost 600€ and the micro could be even 1.000€, total ripoffs) and opening them avoids the warranty so families don't like the idea of someone tweaking them. Also each wheelchair joystick is different, making very difficult to create a universal solution. We also have all the different buttons, making it worse.

In addition, the robot arm helps with eating, picking things up, pushing buttons in elevators, etc... I know it sounds crazy to use a robot to move a joystick, but at the end it make sense in sake of modular and universal use, with no warranties voided and relatively cheap.