PDA

View Full Version : IP Camera stuff (and 2013 scoring transponder)

Deimos
04-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Hi,

I'm not satisfied with the performance of the IP camera i currently have (it's a D-Link), and i was wondering about how exactly the network speed works. The Trendnet TV-IP110W is 801.11b/g, but most newer cameras i'm finding are b/g/N, does that mean that the flavor of network the camera uses is determined by the router it's connected to? What i'm getting at is would something like this: http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=200_TV-IP551W&cat=179 work? (if you look at the specifications it provides speeds for b, g, and N)

Also, the 2013 scoring transponder doesn't have a id on the bottom, i presume the dip switch labeled ID has something to do with this. What should i program my Xbee ID to? Also, where do i plug in the LED board, i see pins labeled H and I, and would rather not fry something (I am incredibly talented at frying things).

Thanks!

Gertlex
04-07-2013, 03:04 PM
My understanding with the camera is bring it as a spare and see if it works. In theory they shoudl work fine, but I'm not sure how well tested the N cameras are. (I have the G and N versions of the TrendNet IP110, but only tested the G one at Robogames last year)

As for your second question, see Upgrayd's second reply in this thread: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?6089-Transponder-schematic-questions

Deimos
04-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the fast reply, if anyone has a more definite answer regarding the IP camera speeds, it would be much appreciated.
(I am deciding whether or not to buy the camera based on it's compatibility with the competition, so i would rather not buy it if it only has a decent chance of working).

(I obviously could have looked around a bit more before posting...)

I can clarify that a bit. You can use Wireless-N capable cameras, but they must be set to G mode. You only get one channel on the router anyway, and the router doesn't support N. I'll redefine this in the next actual draft.

This would imply that any camera compatible with b/g is good as the router doesn't even support N?

Gertlex
04-07-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm not sure if the TrendNets (or any device that I've used) actually let you set them to G-only. I think it's an automatic thing, but am not sure...

Deimos
04-07-2013, 04:31 PM
I haven't seen any options for network speeds either. I'm going to assume that the speed is determined by the router, (the camera's specs do list speeds for b, g, and N) and will go pick one up unless Tyberius (or someone equally qualified) can confirm that it will not work.

jwatte
04-07-2013, 04:40 PM
The mode is set by the access point, not the device. Thus, if the access point is set to not accept N devices, then the devices will be running in G mode. If the access point is both G and N capable, and N cannot be turned off, and the devices are G and N capable, then it's likely they will negotiate N mode, though.

Deimos
04-07-2013, 05:20 PM
That makes sense... I will be using the aforementioned camera unless Tyberius says differently (will probably still bring backup).

Thanks for the fast replies.

Gertlex
04-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Question: What about the D-Link has been unsatisfactory? Have you had any issues with it resetting itself? I re-setup it for the third-ish time yesterday, and it's again not connecting to the wifi today (which indicates that its reset...).