PDA

View Full Version : ROS and PLC communication

devaphani
04-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Hello every one ,
can any one help how to connect ROS to PLC means both talk to each other initially I am trying to connect and Disconnect Ros to PLC . we are trying to use OPC UA server and client communication or any thing else required for this communication interface plz help me .

regards
phani

jwatte
04-25-2013, 01:58 PM
That depends on the specific protocol used by the PLC. If there is not already a module for your PLC (and the bus used by your computer to talk to the PLC) then you would have to develop such a module yourself.

rp74
04-26-2013, 03:01 AM
phani - You're going to have to write some code one way or another - between OPC and ROS, or between the specific device and hardware interface and ROS. If you stick with OPC, I'd use OPC DA 2.0 instead, with the OPC DA Automation Wrapper (you can usually get this from the OPC Server provider, as they're typically OPC Foundation members that pay big bucks for access to the OPC Foundation downloads). You'll essentially be building an OPC Client within the ROS framework (can't say I have any experience with ROS integration) to hand off the data. I still haven't found valid reason for using OPC UA. I heard a speech from the OPC Foundation founder a while back when OPC UA was breaking news, but the grand vision he spoke of hasn't quite made it to reality.

All the same, an OPC interface would be a handy thing to add to ROS for various reasons.