PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Servotor 32 from Arcbotics (ALOT OF QUESTIONS XD)

gammaprysem
04-25-2013, 11:17 AM
ok so i was wondering if anyone has worked with the servotor 32 from Arcbotics? how does it work with HS-422s?
how easy is it to program? how powerful is it? what are the different comunication methods? how well does it mount? what are some stats? would you recommend it for a first time user or pro.? how well would it work with a biped with 5 DOF legs? whats the max voltage input and output? what programs can i use for control? what have you personaly done with it? what all inputs and outputs does it have? would i need a seperate board to act as a micro controller/servo controller? does it work well with standard size servos or just mini's? how is the program interface or do i need to buy a seperate program?
sorry for all the questions but im planning on using it to teach some friends or maybe for a side project but i want info first before buying it.
thanks in advance to all who help :D

fractura_laniatus
04-26-2013, 02:39 AM
Obligatory link to product page because potato: http://arcbotics.com/products/servotor32/

how easy is it to program?
how is the program interface or do i need to buy a seperate program?

I don't have any firsthand experience with micro-controllers yet (though I just got an Arbotix; yay baby's first micro-controller!), but judging from this statement "Programmable using the Arduino IDE (http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software) as an Arduino Leonardo." and from the pictures of the board (http://www.flickr.com/photos/arcbotics/8174225794/sizes/o/in/photostream/) (which seems to have an ISP header) it shouldn't be all that different if you have experience programming other Arduino-ish hardware.

what all inputs and outputs does it have?

"It also boasts a breakout header for our ultrasonic distance module, the bluetooth-serial converter, 8 extra analog inputs, I2C, UART, 4 PWM and 14 Digital IO pins."

would i need a seperate board to act as a micro controller/servo controller?

From what I can tell from "controlling up to 32 servos simultaneously", the phrase "4 PWM " and the picture of the board (http://www.flickr.com/photos/arcbotics/8174225794/sizes/o/in/photostream/), you would not need an additional controller (assuming you are doing Hi-tech/hobby servo type servos and not TTL/RS-485 Dynamixel type stuff).

how does it work with HS-422s?
how powerful is it?
what are the different comunication methods?
what are some stats?
whats the max voltage input and output?

My Internet search wizardry couldn't turn up any of the specs on it's processor(s) or anything else for that matter besides what was listed on the product page. Now I'm curious... I wouldn't expect major earth-shattering performance changes relative to other Arduino level stuff like Arbotix. Of course what I expect and what happens are mutually exclusive categories most of the time.

how well does it mount?
would you recommend it for a first time user or pro.?
how well would it work with a biped with 5 DOF legs?
what programs can i use for control?
what have you personaly done with it?
does it work well with standard size servos or just mini's?

Most of the answers to these questions will vary based upon experience and opinions.

[This post was based on my micro-controller experience (absolutely none) so if I said anything out of line I encourage the robot forum wizards to lay the verbal smack-down on me ;)]

p.s. Bulleted lists are nice; walls of text are scary.

KurtEck
04-26-2013, 08:37 AM
I took a quick look and it looks pretty specific for doing servo outputs. The 32 IO pins shown are for Servo output only. That is they are all connected up through an SPI interface using 74595 chips. This is sort of like having a normal Arduino with servo shield plugged in... Looks like most of the other pins coming out of the processor are connected up to the 18 pins in the connector at the side next to the USB connector.

Their github files contain information including a default sketch, so my guess is you can reprogram over the USB and do whatever you like.

As for servos, it can probably use any standard hobby servo that works with the three pin plugs that take the servo pulses...

Kurt

gammaprysem
04-28-2013, 11:46 AM
p.s. Bulleted lists are nice; walls of text are scary.
i was at school at there wasnt much time before the last dismissal bell so yeah . . . .and im bout to give in and just buy one of them and give it a test run

gammaprysem
04-29-2013, 08:26 AM
As for servos, it can probably use any standard hobby servo that works with the three pin plugs that take the servo pulses... what im worried about is how some servos have different voltage requirement than their micro cousins . . . . .i dont want to under power my servos cuz i dont need them being glitchy or droping out on me in the middle of a fight XD

gammaprysem
09-26-2013, 09:32 PM
yeah so the servotor isn't working
dont know if its a bad board or its just crap in total