PDA

View Full Version : Why does Trossen not have a nice mech warefare gun product on the market I can buy?

cdraptor
06-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Matt, Andrew

You guys should pull together and mech gun product - from the searching on the forums and the strange companies that I have found which have the RC tank guns, I think it would help out the whole Mech Ware community

DresnerRobotics
06-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Haha. Trust me, I wish it were that easy.

The problem is not nearly as simple as you might think, and it's something we've been working on for awhile now.

The RC Tank guns are worthless. The only other option we have is the AEG gearboxes, which while great, lack an 'off the shelf' barrel and feed/hopup mechanism to pair with. The only other options beyond that are custom manufacturing our own, which is literally a multi-thousand dollar time and money investment for an incredibly niche product.

I may have a solution with a new barrel solution I found, but it still won't be cheap.

K1LD4R
06-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Perhaps a kit with a super cheap "defender" style gun, a solid state driver, some basic mounting hardware and instructions on how to put it together? It appears that hacking a cheapo gun from Walmart is how most newbies get started.

Gausswave
06-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Since I have some of that multi thousand $ investment in tools in my shop what are the limitations? I was pondering the option of building my own gun for this purpose. Which brings up the question as to what a good set of design goals would be? Like weight ( light as possible of course ) ammo load, shot rate, FPS for limited class etc...

Grumpybeard
06-12-2013, 12:59 AM
Its a good question, as I as a newbie builder have been bewildered with all the gun options available having been inspired by the mech warfare posts and videos.

I would love to add some armament to my rover and future crawler, an easy to source hackable option would be great yet appreciate anything more custom is niche.

ArduTank
06-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Get a "defender" style gun from Walmart, then hack it to run the motor off of a 4A or higher motor controller or something.

4797 4798 <<< Try one of these

jwatte
06-12-2013, 11:06 AM
My priority list would look something like:

1) Reliability (no jamming)
2) Accuracy (no shower heading)
3) Weight (the metal based gearboxes add significant load on servos)
4) Ammo capacity (I'd say 200 BBs is bare minimum, and ability to add up to 1000 would be helpful)
5) Solid control electronics (no burn-outs or overheats, ability to control rate of fire, shielded wiring)

Note that 2 shots a second would be plenty; having the necessary sensors on the gun to limit rate to that would be useful, and would probably help with reliability as well.