PDA

View Full Version : AX-12A Clicking Sounds

MaelXD
06-19-2013, 02:52 AM
Hey all,

I've just gotten my first batch of new Dynamixels (a mix of AX12A's and AX18A's), and I've noticed that one of the AX12A's makes regular clicking sounds when the horn is gently forced around. I know that this is generally indicative of broken teeth, but the servo is brand new and it hasn't even been powered on yet.

Has anyone else found a Dynamixel to be broken out of the box?
I have bought a few spares anyway and I will probably just order a replacement gear train if it is the issue.

Thanks,
MaelXD

KevinO
06-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Yes that is usually the sign of broken gears. To answer your question no, I've never heard of one broken straight out of the box. Did you buy it from Trossen or someplace else?

MaelXD
06-19-2013, 07:26 PM
I bought it from Trossen, it came in one of the bulk 6pc packs.

iBot
06-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Or maybe a bit of plastic manufacturing debris caught in the gear. Quality of these servos is generally good, but it can happen. It needs fixing. If you feel competent then open it up and have a look, else just return to Trossen.

Jim Cheong
06-19-2013, 08:26 PM
I forced an AX-18 once, and the gear slipped. Ever since then, it didn't turn smoothly. I've opened the servo and got the gears out and found plastic clips stuck. Removed the clips and rub the excess lubrication around the box and it is working now.

MaelXD
06-20-2013, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I'll open it up and have a look when I get home later today.

MaelXD
06-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Well I opened up the servo and disassembled the gears, checking all the teeth, and everything seems to be fine. After putting it back together the noise is gone and it's working perfectly. I have no idea what it was, probably a piece of grit stuck on one of the gears.

Gertlex
06-20-2013, 07:20 PM
I've had light clicking with a new servo as well, and similarly didn't find any missing teet on the gears. Not sure where/which bot that servo is now.