PDA

View Full Version : Intel NUC

CogswellCogs
07-16-2013, 10:20 PM
Hello -
I just finished some testing on the Intel NUC DC3217IYE I picked up. My plan is for it to become my next Mech controller. It's pretty sweet. Dual core and hyper-threaded 1.8 Ghz processor. It runs my new low latency video streaming software with barely a dent in the processor power. More on that later. The WiFi antenna is built into the case. The package is only about 4.5"x4.5"x2" and it has mounting holes on the bottom.

I read a post earlier about having difficulty finding a mech-friendly a power source for it. I used an automotive laptop power adapter and it works great. I power it from a 4S LiFe battery (12.8v nominal). A 3S LiPo battery is right on the lower end of the power adapter's specs, but I'll probably give it a try before too long. This is the power unit I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DYJI4E

You can pry open the case to get the circuit board, which is about 3"x2" and 55g without the cable. I had to change the connector, too. If you want to get a NUC in your bot, this item works well so far.

- CogswellCogs

KevinO
07-17-2013, 12:41 AM
They are great! I use one as well as escott76 on his quad Zoidberg. We are using a up converter to get it up to 19 volts. Here is mine on a Trossen Edge Kit prototype.

KevinO
07-17-2013, 12:43 AM
We are using this one. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FLE7PA/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1 _dp_1

With constant use over the past couple of weeks it has worked flawlessly.

escott76
07-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Actually just ordered mine today ;) I have "a few" things going on at the moment, we're moving to another state next month and a bunch of other stuff is going on. I haven't had as much chance to play lately as I'd like.
For whatever it's worth, I chose the lowest end NUC http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-kit-dccp847dye.html . At this point all I have done is some webcam streaming, but when I get some more free time (HA!) I plan to get some other stuff working.

CasperH
07-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Out of curiosity, can you take out the NUC board from the casing to save space/weight?

escott76
07-17-2013, 03:00 PM
The Intel site lists the bare board version of each of the 3 NUC's currently available. I did some quick digging but could not find one for a reasonable cost compared to the kit. Keep in mind also that the "case" contains antennas for BT/WiFi and a few other buttons, a usb socket etc. The main board also carries a somewhat significant fan module. You might save a few millimeters in each direction taking of the case, probably bigger gains on the weight front, but it's not enough to make me ditch it for the protection it offers. These things when loaded with RAM/Disk/Wireless are pretty packed.
Allegedly they are coming out with Haswell versions when the chips become more available later this year. I figure if I need the power I can likely cram that board into the case on the one I have. That is another reason I bought the lowest spec one.
Totally useless trivia fact, they put a light sensor and a music playback chip in the box that the NUC comes in, when you open it the intel "dum-dum-dum-ding" noise plays. Cute the first time, and more and more annoying every time after...

CogswellCogs
07-17-2013, 06:58 PM
>> but it's not enough to make me ditch it for the protection it offers
I agree 100%. The small amount of gain isn't worth the risk and aggravation. The case may need to be modified, however, if you want access to the other two USB ports. Those are headers on the board itself and not brought out to panel connectors.

>> when you open it the intel "dum-dum-dum-ding" noise plays. Cute the first time, and more and more annoying every time after...
Fortunately, mine stopped after about the tenth box opening.

KevinO
07-17-2013, 07:08 PM
I even mounted mine with the VESA mount so I can slide it off if I need to. It is a great little machine.

escott76
07-17-2013, 07:45 PM
I even mounted mine with the VESA mount so I can slide it off if I need to. It is a great little machine.
I measured the slots and cut them into a piece of polycarbonate so I could use the factory mounting solution without the steel plate. Works well.

KevinO
07-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Nice! I wish I had your skills!

escott76
07-20-2013, 05:03 PM
The converter KevinO showed me came in this morning! Works great, thanks for the recommendation. For anyone interested in such things, the power connector is a 5.5mm OD 2.5mm ID. Radio Shack calls this size "N", you can grab the two pack of connectors http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102488&znt_campaign=Category_CMS&znt_source=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT2032231 for $4. Now on to the bad news, although further testing is needed, looks like I'll top out around 20 minutes of computer and walking with the pack I have now. 2200mah, 11.1v. Certainly could be worse ;)

KevinO
07-20-2013, 07:12 PM
I run about 20 minutes as well on Charlotte 2.0 with a 6600mah battery! Though 26 servos are a bit draining. :)

KurtEck
09-07-2013, 11:58 AM
My NUC arrived this week ;) As I mentioned in a different post, originally I purchased a wrong sized disk for it, but now is up and running.

I now have Linux Mint 15 installed on it. Works pretty well. Still sorting through things like:

a) Sound does not work. This version of the NUC only has sound going out through the HDMI. So far no sound through my LED tv.
b) Trying to install OpenNI... to use with the ASUS sensor.
c) Tried first simply installing the x64 package directly from OpenNI. Need to remember how/where to get and install driver for actual sensor...
d) Tried downloading sources. Having compile issues. Working through several different things I found using google... Like:
http://mitchtech.net/ubuntu-kinect-openni-primesense/

Not sure if some of this is because My version of Mint is running 13.04 Ubuntu... I know there have been some issues getting things like ROS built...

Back to playing.
Kurt

KevinO
09-07-2013, 04:30 PM
a) Sound does not work. This version of the NUC only has sound going out through the HDMI. So far no sound through my LED tv.

I'm using a USB sound card for mic and speaker. $12.00 Drivers are already in the Linux build.

b) Trying to install OpenNI... to use with the ASUS sensor.
c) Tried first simply installing the x64 package directly from OpenNI. Need to remember how/where to get and install driver for actual sensor...
d) Tried downloading sources. Having compile issues. Working through several different things I found using google... Like:
http://mitchtech.net/ubuntu-kinect-openni-primesense/

You shouldn't need to do anything special. Just run the shell script that sets the USB rules. The pre-complied stuff ran perfect after that.

KurtEck
09-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks Kevin,

I agree with you with the Audio device when I have it on my robot. I do have one of the cheap USB sound cards, that I will use at that point. But still thought it would be nice to have sound available when I have it plugged it into the TV.

Did some more googling aground and found that there have been issues with this. I solved this on my machine by following the instructions on the page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS

Still need to work on the ASUS stuff. Yesterday it was seeing the microphones on the sensor, but when I simply tried to run some of the sample apps, said no device found. Did you just download the OpenNI beta up on the forum, or did you use the Disk image that is up on the ASUS site?

Kurt

P.S. - Have been having issues with our network here. Our ISP thinks it is some form of interference on the Microwave tower that we use. It appears to be getting better... But some downloads are still timing out.

KevinO
09-08-2013, 04:49 PM
I noticed that as well Kurt. Though after I had the NUC setup on the robot I haven't used the HDMI port. I just VNC in now.

KurtEck
09-09-2013, 10:00 AM
I was finally able to download the Asus CDROM image. Took 3 atempts before I received a complete image that was not corrupted. I then extracted the three folders (OpenNI, Device, Nite) and ran their install.sh files and now viewer works on the NUC :)

KevinO
09-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Hmm. I just downloaded from OpenNI and they worked after I ran the install.sh do setup the USB rules. Odd.

KurtEck
09-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Good Question: I just followed what was in the Readme file of the CDROM...

for Linux Ubuntu 10.10:
The installation steps as follows,
1. install OpenNI package
2. install Sensor package
3. install NITE package

Please download and install "OpenGL Utility Toolkit" package when you can not execute "NiViewer.exe".

Note, these are probably older versions than you downloaded...
OpenNI Framework v1.5.2.23
Sensor DDK v5.1.0.41
NITE v1.5.2.21
USB driver v3.1.3.1

KevinO
09-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Yeah I'm using openNI v2.* something.

Also let me know if you get the mics to work reliably in Linux. I gave up after a while and used a USB mic.

KurtEck
09-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Hi Kevin,
I was still having some issues with getting all of the OpenNI2 stuff working :confused:, and decided to do the sledge hammer approach.

Nope not literal, but I know you are (were) using the Maya release, which is based on the older version of Ubuntu (12.xx) instead of the 13.04. So I decided to go backwards and install Maya. For some reason my trying to write out the image files out to Lexar USB create an unreadable image (the computed checksums was correct). So I burned the image to DVD and purchased/used an external USB DVD drive. Finished the install, now in process of running Update manager, which is trying to download 618 files...

Then back to trying the stuff out

KurtEck
09-12-2013, 11:17 AM
I have it up and running on Linux Mint 13 (Ubuntu 12.04). But the sample apps ran real slow for some reason. This included ones like SimpleViewer as well as the NiTE ones like UserViewer.

So late yesterday decided to try again on my Main machine that I have dual booting with Windows 7 and Mint 15. Like the NUC, the apps would aborted because they could not find a device... I had done several googles/Bings/... trying to find solution as I figured I could not be alone. Finally I logged onto the OpenNI community forum and sure enough found several hits (Not sure why they search engines did not find them). The one I mainly worked off of was: http://community.openni.org/openni/topics/installing_openni_2_2_alpha_on_ubuntu

The solution I did that worked was:

cd /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
sudo ln -s libudev.so.1 libudev.so.0

Appeared to work pretty well, so I updated the NUC to dual boat with Mint 13 and Mint 15. Finished the install (DVD again), installed the required extra stuff, did the fix I just mentioned as well as the HDMI sound one. I then ran the OpenNI simple viewer as well as the NiTE UserViewer and rebuilt the simple test apps that I had earlier for the Odroid, which included the test color app that Kevin sent me back then. All of them appear to run fine and appears to have much better performance than they did on Mint 13 :)

Kurt

KevinO
09-12-2013, 11:50 AM
I will take a look tonight. My connection issues are very intermittent and are fixed with a restart of the program. Though it is annoying when I launch the robot and I look up to see what the sensor is seeing and nothing is there. So if this works that will be great.

JuneBelle
11-09-2013, 06:44 AM
Hello, I was doing a search on whether or not the NUC can run off of a battery installed in the enclosure if even for a little while to move it between outlets; and I ran across this thread. If that's what you guys have done, how would I go about doing that, too. Is there a tutorial that explains it?

KevinO
11-09-2013, 04:44 PM
June, what enclosure are you talking about? Normally the NUC is powered with a AC to DC converter plugged into the wall. We are using a DC to DC up-converter which takes a 11.1 volt lipo and feeds the 19 volts the NUC needs.

jwatte
11-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Yes, the way I would do it is to plug the wall adapter into a battery management system, and go from LiPo to 19V for the NUC power using a DC DC converter. When pulling the plug from the wall, the battery will keep the NUC going. Much like a laptop!
(I actually use this for my rolling rover, and used it in the past for my walker, both of which have/had Intel-based control computers.)