PDA

View Full Version : Trossen Robotics Github! Arm Software!

DresnerRobotics
07-31-2013, 01:33 PM
Hey guys,

We're slowly rolling out some more arm code and examples, just wanted people to know that we'll be doing so through GitHub. Fork, clone, and otherwise hack away!

http://github.com/trossenrobotics

jwatte
07-31-2013, 07:59 PM
For a while, I thought you meant "ARM code" as in, runs on Cortex-M3 or whatever :-)

(Btw, for high-performance, low-cost ARM boards, both the Stellaris 72 MHz board from TI ($12), and the Cortex-M4 board (with MEMS accelerometer and LEDS/buttons!) from STM are very good value. You "just" have to find a suitable GCC ARM toolchain and header set...)

lnxfergy
08-03-2013, 04:57 AM
You "just" have to find a suitable GCC ARM toolchain and header set...)

.., and find/understand or write the libraries for peripherals and port all your code.

... and then figure out why it's hard faulting, cause it is certainly going to happen at least once, and be very frustrating.

Yes, ARM is out there, and yes it's a lot easier than it was just a few years ago, but it's still a world of hurt more difficult than the Arduino. I use Cortex-M4s at work, and the tools are so much more powerful I feel deeply depressed anytime I am forced to work with an Arduino, but I would still never recommend an M4-based platform to a beginner, or really anyone who wants something to "just work". And if you're buying a kit, you probably don't want to find the missing tab in your makefile...

-Fergs

P.S. my STM32 code is hosted on github as well: https://github.com/mikeferguson/stm32

jwatte
08-03-2013, 10:16 AM
you probably don't want to find the missing tab in your makefile

Rumor has it that, but the time the Make author found the tab-vs-space file parsing bug, they already had five other people using makefiles, and couldn't fix it because of the backwards compatibility cost.

tician
08-12-2013, 02:41 AM
Rumor has it that, but the time the Make author found the tab-vs-space file parsing bug, they already had five other people using makefiles, and couldn't fix it because of the backwards compatibility cost.
Grrr. Just got bit again by this little 'feature' while trying to build a working module for my USB EasyCap (newest hardware revision with no pre-built kernel support <=3.8). Suppose that is what I get for sticking solely to IDE's for the better part of a year.

jwatte
08-12-2013, 11:10 AM
If you use the One True Editor (vim) then it will conveniently highlight the problem spots for you.
Just sayin' :-)