PDA

View Full Version : Sponsor a building. Move a city. Help MechWarfare.

CogswellCogs
08-01-2013, 02:06 PM
I enjoy this community, and I appreciate all the hard work Andrew and crew devote to it. My time, however, is completely booked (did I mention that my DRC team finished second, so now I get to play with a REAL Atlas !?!?).

I still want to support Mech Warfare. I propose a "Sponsor a building" campaign to help move our arena city from California to Chicago. I'll donate $200 for the right to provide and affix a small sticker or plastic sign (say 8"x2") to the side of one of the buildings. Maybe the "CogswellCogs Library" right there in the heart of Mechopolis.

Does this work for you, Tybs ? Anyone else want to own a building ?

- CogswellCogs

jwatte
08-01-2013, 03:44 PM
I think this is a great idea! I think there are some of those kinds of signs in the arena already.

An interesting mechanism might be if there was a bidding war for some defined number of sponsor slots. Each year, someone could bid to buy one or more slots. Whoever owns the slot can "increase" their bid -- the previous purchase price is credited towards the bid, whereas newcomers would have to out-bit the incumbent "from scratch." This would give some long-term love to those who get in early, without making it a "pay once and benefit forever" deal.

CogswellCogs
08-01-2013, 04:29 PM
I like that. It takes some book keeping, but it gets some ongoing donations.

Th232
08-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Would also sponsor a building. Maybe a nuclear reactor...

K1LD4R
08-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Are we talking billboards on the buildings, or the whole building itself?

CogswellCogs
08-01-2013, 07:43 PM
I was thinking about a sign on the side of the building. As if to advertise what businesses were located in that building. Small enough that a few signs could be present without looking overcrowded.

K1LD4R
08-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Yeah, that sounds cool. Billboards could also be an idea. Maybe for when space on the building face runs out, or maybe as a cheaper option. It would be totally cool if you could commission a whole custom building if you paid enough. I've done a handful of scale landscape modeling for table top war games, it's not too hard to build something out of foam core board and polystyrene.

ArduTank
08-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Cogs, this would have very few buildings actually sponsored, due to Mech Warfare being not very well known.

K1LD4R, that is some strong foam you're using if it can take airsoft fire without a large amount of damage.

K1LD4R
08-02-2013, 08:11 AM
But bullet holes make them more badass, right?

Has anyone chronographed their mech's guns? They aren't supposed to be super powerful to avoid damage to the scoring system anyway.

What are the current buildings made of?

ArduTank
08-02-2013, 09:40 AM
The AEG's are known to at least spiderweb acrylic, which is WAY stronger than foam. It would be cheaper in the long run to make the buildings out of something stronger than it would be to make them out of cheap foam.

The only benefit I could see to the foam would be the realism with the mechs in the computer games being able to take a building down to the ground, even though we're not supposed to intentionally shoot at the buildings.

CogswellCogs
08-06-2013, 09:49 AM
My donation is made. I'm assuming that silence implies consent and I'll start making my sign :) Even if the "sponsor a building" idea is not allowed, that money will still help defray the cost of moving our arena. I encourage our other members to contribute to the extent they're able. Give 'till it hurts !

DresnerRobotics
08-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Appreciated Cogs!

I can certainly accommodate people for building sponsorships, just give me what you'd like on the building or even an image file and I'll get them printed. I have to keep the billboards open for other sponsors, I think buildings will be community-only.

Cogs which building do you want? I'll get some pics of 2013 uploaded soon so you can pick.

FYI- all buildings are now made of lasercut ABS as of last April (lots of last minute work, heh). Tough as nails.

CogswellCogs
08-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Ok, here's my sign:

http://youtu.be/reRD1JyQ31c

<antagonize>

This is the most awesome building sign that can be produced by anyone on this planet. You losers are welcome to dust off your pathetic creative skills and try to build something half as cool, but you won't be able to. Yeah. That's right.

I'm talking to YOU, Tucson R-Team ! Sure, you can build great mechs, but can you get your name up on a Mech Warfare building with 1/10th as much style ? No ! I say you CAN NOT.

And I'm talking to you, East Coast Mech Warfare. Can you guys build anything ? Anything at all ? Or is it all just talk, talk, talk, talk.

Both of you groups have multiple members. So take up a collection ! Dig for change in your couch. Pick up an extra shift at the Burger King where you inevitably toil away your work day. Sponsor a building ! Help our hobby ! SHUT ME UP !

</antagonize>

All for a good cause :)

Th232
08-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Your antagonising is slightly dampened by the fact that the item is not loading...

CogswellCogs
08-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Doh ! Ain't that always the way. Fixed link.

YoMarchYo
08-30-2013, 08:25 AM
Hahahaha

jwatte
08-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Someone's going to have to one-up that one with a 3" LCD display now...

CogswellCogs
08-30-2013, 12:06 PM
You know what I think would be good ? An EL Wire sign. It would look like a miniature neon sign. My favorite surplus place is having a sale on EL drivers (http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G19539) - no affiliation.

I was thinking of making an EL Wire sign until I saw they also had flashing multi-color LEDs on sale, too.

Any sign would be good. Even a name printed on paper and glued to piece of plastic works just fine. The goal is get our arena moved to Chicago without Andrew having to foot the bill.

ArduTank
08-30-2013, 03:08 PM
What would the minimum donation be for a sign??

Deimos
11-05-2013, 09:27 PM
This is the most awesome building sign that can be produced by anyone on this planet. You losers are welcome to dust off your pathetic creative skills and try to build something half as cool, but you won't be able to. Yeah. That's right.
Challenge accepted.

I may not sponsor a building, but my sign will blow your sign away :p.

jwatte
11-05-2013, 10:09 PM
What, it will come with a miniature airsoft gun and a targeting camera?

Deimos
11-05-2013, 10:16 PM
SHHHH! Don't tell him my secret plans!

CogswellCogs
11-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Sorry, I can't hear you until you or your team sponsors a building. :p

Deimos
11-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Dangit cogs! Now i have to sponsor a building! Do you think $100 would do?

jwatte
11-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Yeah, really. If Tybs could come up with a definite date, I might come up with a definite amount of money.
And a sign that will put you all to shame, of course.

Deimos
11-10-2013, 01:42 AM
An update from Tybs would be great. Haven't heard anything from him for a while now :(.

Xevel
11-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Sponsoring sent ;)
If $200 gives one the right for a neon sign for a burger joint, then for what I gave I might get something like a small graffiti on a lampost (at scale) :p

CogswellCogs
11-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Sponsoring sent ;)
If $200 gives one the right for a neon sign for a burger joint, then for what I gave I might get something like a small graffiti on a lampost (at scale) :p

A burger joint !?!? How DARE you, sir ! I'll have you know that Cog's Bar and Grill is a fine, upstanding establishment. The women are clean, the beer is cold, and we serve only the finest USDA mech-beef.

What kind of a place do you think I'm running ? A Mech-Donalds ?
(hey ... somebody had to say it)

>> then for what I gave
Everything helps.