PDA

View Full Version : Mech Warfare Logo & Art

Deimos
01-06-2014, 10:53 PM
Hi all!

I thought I might as well attempt to try to coordinate an effort to get the logo and things for MW done. For convenience:

7) We need some general logo/graphics work done for Mech Warfare. A unified logo/font and some vector graphics would be amazing. New website is going to need a banner as well.

I figure the best way to go about this is to divide the task up into parts, and get some ideas flowing for each one. I didn't really have any good ideas that I wanted to draw up for the logo, so I started with a website banner:

Feel free to not like it, I just wanted to get some ideas going. This is also in no way a finished website banner, it's just a concept. I grabbed a font from the internet, and I think it fits alright. It would probably be best to make a font specifically for mech warfare; then use it in both the website banner and the logo.

Any ideas or comments? Doodles or sketches would be great. I bet there are plenty of you who possess more skill with Photoshop (or similar) than I do!

P.S. The more I look at this the more I feel like I've seen the exact same design somewhere else. Maybe I'm just crazy, but if anybody has seen something that looks similar I wouldn't be surprised :p.

byi
01-07-2014, 12:07 AM
I like. Yea, looks familiar. Probably from a lot of video game titles. Anyway, I am not particularly artistic unfortunately, but this looks great. Glad to see people working on this. :)

Xevel
01-07-2014, 12:32 AM
Mech StarWarfare 2014 - now with lightsabers!

Ok, sorry for not being any more helpful, but that's what it definitely makes me think about ^^
I would suggest we forget light effects and go for something more sober, that conveys the ideas of steel, robotics, shooting BBs... Ok I know not that helpful either.

When I started my MWquad journal (kind of a lab journal for all the crazy ideas for my upcoming mech, which as of yesterday has started its early CAD life), I drew this - it's what I expect to see, big robots (this one is loosely based on Tyb's Envy) shooting at your face.
It's crude and not originally intended for any particular use.

ArduTank
01-07-2014, 08:56 AM
That's some good drawing there Xevel!

I'll see if I can come up with anything.

jwatte
01-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Here are a few:

Deimos
01-07-2014, 11:42 AM
They're all so good! I can't decide which one I like more!

I would suggest we forget light effects and go for something more sober, that conveys the ideas of steel, robotics, shooting BBs... Ok I know not that helpful either.
That's definitely helpful! In fact I'd say it's just the kind of feedback I'm looking for :). I definitely agree with what you said, sometime I get a little carried away in photoshop :p.

I quite like your drawing, although I'm not a huge fan of 3d text (but that's just me).

Here's the MW poster from last year, I think I prefer a blocky, brushed steel text over this. However, I think the style is a bit more what we're looking for. Not too flashy or bright, just plain and bold, with a big mech shooting something :p.

I may try to draw something up later today. In the mean time, keep the ideas & drawings coming!

byi
01-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Jwatte, you are truly a visionary.

kgranat
01-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Such Logo

Very Mech

Wow

Deimos
01-11-2014, 01:50 AM
Just messing around with an idea for the logo:

Not really sure if I like this one, but I won't get anywhere if I don't share anything :p. Too much circle, not enough logo :/.

As always: Comments? Ideas? Doodles?

Edit:
Less circle!

ArduTank
01-11-2014, 09:15 AM
I think that would be good overlayed over last year's background.

byi
01-11-2014, 09:39 AM
I think it might look better without the letters being skewed

CasperH
01-11-2014, 01:51 PM

P.S. The more I look at this the more I feel like I've seen the exact same design somewhere else. Maybe I'm just crazy, but if anybody has seen something that looks similar I wouldn't be surprised :p.

Yes, its from Terminator, The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

http://stylefavor.com/terminator-the-sarah-connor-chronicles/terminator-the-sarah-connor-chronicles-wallpaper/

Looks good, maybe less bright so it does not overlap the bottom of the letters.

Deimos
01-11-2014, 02:34 PM
Yes, its from Terminator, The Sarah Connor Chronicles.
So that's what it was! (Quite fitting actually :p)

I think it might look better without the letters being skewed
How do you mean? The lighting gradient should be straight up and down? Like:

I don't really start with a finished idea in mind, I just kinda try things. As a result, after multiple changes to the main design some of the lighting angles can get pretty badly mangled if I'm not careful :D.

Will try other requests in a bit.

ArduTank
01-11-2014, 02:49 PM
He means the vertical position of the MW at the top.

Deimos
01-11-2014, 02:58 PM
Oh, don't know how I didn't realize that :p.

ArduTank
01-11-2014, 04:04 PM
And maybe overlay that over last year's background :)

Deimos
01-11-2014, 04:35 PM
I did a rather bad job of removing the old text, but:

Søren Bendt did a great job on the poster, feels wrong messing with it :p.

Should probably add a drop shadow to the "mech warfare" in the interest of legibility. Maybe dirty up the letters to more fit the style of the background.

ArduTank
01-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Nice!

TXBDan
01-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Nice. The words "Mech Warfare" should be larger and more prominent though. A good logo establishes the brand name front and center. A large "MW" looks cool but isn't meaningful to anyone. They wouldn't know to link it to mech warfare and most wouldn't take the time to read the smaller text.