PDA

View Full Version : Burning bootloader error (arduino)

deathwiz
03-17-2014, 12:45 PM
I am using a mega 2560 as isp to program an arbotix chip. It is saying
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature. Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check. when i try to upload a sketch or burn the bootloader. The isp is connected correctly, so what can i do? how do i use -F to bypass?

kgranat
03-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Did you make sure that you picked the 'ArbotiX' from the boards menu?

Are you using the stock arduino as an isp code on the mega?

deathwiz
03-20-2014, 12:37 AM
Yes and yes

kgranat
03-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Do you have any other Arduinos that you can try to load a bootloader onto using your mega?

deathwiz
03-20-2014, 11:20 AM
i can try to get one from someone but i dont want to mess theirs up as well

kgranat
03-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Next week I'll try to burn the bootloader with a mega and I'll see what response I get.

If you'd like to send the board back to us (Trossen Robotics) I'll be happy to reload the bootloader.

jwatte
03-21-2014, 10:03 PM
My piece of advice: Get a ICSP programmer of some sort. USBTiny, AVR Dragon, STK500 clone, or whatever. You can probably get something for $6 on eBay, $15 from online stores, and $50 from Atmel themselves (through a distributor like Digi-Key.)
An ICSP programmer will let you load whatever programs or bootloaders you want, without having to keep the serial port free. It lets you recover chips, and it also typically lets you program the chips faster than the serial port does (a little depending on type.)