PDA

View Full Version : Mech Warfare 2014 Update

DresnerRobotics
05-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Hey guys,

Simply put, Mech Warfare 2014 is going to have to be pushed back a year. With the loss of Robogames as a venue, hosting our own event is a massive undertaking that I simply do not have the free time to coordinate. I have no real venue option at the moment (that doesn't require a good amount of monetary investment), and I am completely emerged in a massive project for a client here at work until end of September at the earliest. I am still planning on hosting a Chicago based event, but it will not be until Summer of 2015. This gives me more breathing room to secure a proper venue, funding, and reorganize the existing ruleset into something a bit more streamlined.

Sorry to any of you disappointed by this news. We ran the event for 5 consecutive years and I don't plan on stopping now. Use this year off to work on your mech tech, practice, or pitch in to community driven projects. I'm going to be doing a dump of all things scoring system related to the Mech Warfare Github in the near future, with the hope that we can get some things refined/rebuilt for the future of our competition.

byi
05-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Bummer. Thanks for keeping it going. Looking forward to 2015!

ArduTank
05-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Ouch. Still, I don't have to rush my mech together anymore.

jwatte
05-02-2014, 08:50 PM
I wonder if there would be enough interest in a NorCal event around Halloween to make it worth it?
We could probably get cheap venue space for something smaller at a place like Tech Shop.

ArduTank
05-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Unfortunately, Cali's too far away. Otherwise, I'd be interested.

jpieper
05-03-2014, 05:04 AM
As with jwatte, we have access to a free (or sponsored) venue here in Boston, MA. Of course, being on the other coast, it probably makes travel hard for just as many people. That said, we'd certainly be game to host an expo or mini-tournament in the fall for those who were interested.

Gertlex
05-03-2014, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the update Tybs!

I've done absolutely nothing MW-related in the past year except minimal progress on playing with an ARM-based board :/

byi
05-03-2014, 09:52 PM
I'm based in New York, but I would be happy to fly or drive out to an event in either of those locations.

DresnerRobotics
05-06-2014, 01:19 AM
As with jwatte, we have access to a free (or sponsored) venue here in Boston, MA. Of course, being on the other coast, it probably makes travel hard for just as many people. That said, we'd certainly be game to host an expo or mini-tournament in the fall for those who were interested.

I have friends at Artisans Asylum, which is in Boston. Certainly a possibility.

jpieper
05-06-2014, 07:37 AM
Yep, I was probably going to propose the Jaybridge offices in Cambridge for purely selfish reasons. I am already there everyday so it would make organizing a lot easier. :)

We have two spaces which could be converted into arenas relatively cheaply as they have walls on three sides already. I was thinking you could just hang polycarb on the walls from drywall anchors to protect the drywall and only have to build a single wall to fence off the area. One of the spaces has tile, but probably only has setup room for 4 or 5 teams. The other has low commercial carpet (and we could probably put down something temporarily on top of it), but easily has room for more than a dozen teams to set up and mingle.

Gort
05-06-2014, 07:05 PM
We are having a robot competition in Kansas City, MO this year during our Maker Faire if anyone is interested.

I can setup a Mech warfare arena if needed.

Entering into the competition is free.

http://www.makerfairekc.com/

Luis Rodriguez
05-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Michael is right, we have several overseas guests that are coming over to exhibit and compete. If anyone is in the mood, come to the Heart Land and show KC what Mech Warfare is all about! We have a HUGE train station and plenty of room for as many of you as we can fit. We will get details on the website but sign for a Maker application and come have a blast and the best BBQ in the nation! I'll be at Maker Con and Maker Faire Bay Area (Ultimaker Booth) if anybody wants to meetup and talk. And, of course see Michaels booth at Bay Area!

Luis Rodriguez
Maker Faire Kansas City Producer

We are having a robot competition in Kansas City, MO this year during our Maker Faire if anyone is interested.

I can setup a Mech warfare arena if needed.

Entering into the competition is free.

http://www.makerfairekc.com/

jwatte
05-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Damn, that's right when the in-laws are arriving from Europe. And they are not particularly into Mech Warfare...
I hope you have a blast!

ArduTank
05-07-2014, 05:50 AM
I'll be trying to get there.

BTW, Tyberius, any news on the state of approval of the Velostat target panels??

Luis Rodriguez
05-07-2014, 10:55 AM
That is great! Anybody interested should sign up right away to help me justify providing a larger space for the competition. Free booth unless you are selling something, which I didn't get the impression anyone was doing. Let's roll!

http://www.makerfairekc.com/application/

Deimos
05-07-2014, 01:56 PM
How is the mech warfare committee coming along? I think it would be very beneficial to get that going as soon as possible. Having some leadership to coordinate community efforts on MW related projects would probably speed up tech development (and other things) a good bit.

ArduTank
05-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Luis, does the Mech have to have MW regulation target panels, or is the KC Maker faire bit just a dog-and-pony show type deal??

Gort
05-07-2014, 05:35 PM
The event is not a regulation event but it will be the only event in 2014.

We replace the target panels with carbon paper and a piece of foam board. This works well to score the matches.

Not sure what you mean by a dog and pony show?

ArduTank
05-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Okay. That'll allow me to easily get there.

By dog and pony show, I mean showing things of no importance, ie, exhibition matches.

Gort
05-08-2014, 09:49 AM
OH, yes it will be more than exhibition matches.

We will have scoring, winners and losers and metals for first, second and third place.

I want to be as close to regulation as possible but are there working target panels for everyone?

I also think KC would be a good place to have a mech warfare committee meeting.

ArduTank
05-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Okay then. What do I have to enter in the registration form to link my entry with the MW group's??

Psymon
05-08-2014, 07:43 PM
I've been developing my own robotics project and my research has led me here. I've just completed the first stage of the control system and was looking where to move on to.

My initial plan was develop a walker type robot with a first person view point. I think I'll starting refining my plan to meet the requirements for this event.

To assist in the development; in the Mech Warfare event what are the rules regarding melee combat? (Permitted || Banned 'because no-one wants their robot to be completely trashed' || No one has built a robot that can actually throw a punch without falling over...)

KevinO
05-08-2014, 10:16 PM
To assist in the development; in the Mech Warfare event what are the rules regarding melee combat? (Permitted || Banned 'because no-one wants their robot to be completely trashed' || No one has built a robot that can actually throw a punch without falling over...)

Rules are on http://mech-warfare.com/

ArduTank
05-09-2014, 05:53 AM
Definitely not going to be able to get there. Just remembered how far away Kansas City is from Richmond, IN at 556 miles, farther away than Chicago.

Gort
05-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Cool!!

And in a new record for the distance a Maker has traveled to Maker Faire Kansas CIty we have some Humanoid Robotics masters coming from Team Robot Japan! Yoshihiro Shibata and Omata Yoshifumi will battle head to head in Michael Overstreet's (http://www.benchmarkemail.com/c/l?u=36AFFF8&e=48452E&c=2268D&t=0&email=4t2nQqOTHXgY6OwKVQc5kHDSGOjAKqBO) Robot Tournament Kansas City 2014 (http://www.benchmarkemail.com/c/l?u=36AFFF9&e=48452E&c=2268D&t=0&email=4t2nQqOTHXgY6OwKVQc5kHDSGOjAKqBO). Korean competitors, and many former Robo Games competitors, are lining up to battle these masters. If you are interested in robot professional wrestling, mech warfare, sumo, and many more categories sign up today (http://www.benchmarkemail.com/c/l?u=36AFFFA&e=48452E&c=2268D&t=0&email=4t2nQqOTHXgY6OwKVQc5kHDSGOjAKqBO)!

http://burl.co/36B000B

parallax
05-15-2014, 08:47 AM
I can second Boston as a great place to host an event. Tybs, you may even be able to get some new sponsors to help out with any monetary costs moving the venue may incur. The greater Boston area is a hotbed for robotics. iRobot, Boston Dynamics, Kiva Systems, MIT, WPI are all within striking distance (if not actually in Boston) are just a few examples.

Lupulus
05-15-2014, 10:21 AM
I'd love to get to Kansas City Maker Faire this year! If I can make it, I'll bring the mech, although it's unlikely it will have scoring panels.